Revolutionary Suicide

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goosebal
goosebal
256 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide
Jun 20, 2013, 09:50
You were right. Heard twice. It's not rubbish (apart from the atom bomb drops - please put these to bed now). Saved by two killer tunes - "They Were on Hard Drugs" - different, great. Also, "In His Cups" - one of my favourite Cope tracks in ages, I love it, not ground breaking or anything (In relation to anything else he's done) but very moreish and fabulous. Even my 10 year old daughter loved that one.
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Re: Revolutionary Suicide - Quietus Review
Jun 20, 2013, 11:32
http://thequietus.com/articles/12603-julian-cope-revolutionary-suicide-review

Likes it a lot
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2013, 14:53
Jun 20, 2013, 12:29
Popel Vooje wrote:
keith a wrote:
goosebal wrote:
I'm happy its on Spotify.

Though I've pretty much brought every Cope album in existence in the past, I was going to stop at this one as the last couple really didn't do it for me (surprised even myself as once thought the man could do no wrong).

Heard it once today on Spotify and don't rate it at all. So am happy I saved a tenner or whatever it costs in buying it as that would have been a waste of money.

I'd hear it twice before I decided it was rubbish if I were you!

I've heard it twice (at work rather than through Spotify) and I'm not convinced enough to buy it. One more listen, and if I still don't tnink much of it, that'll be the last time as there are too many good new releases coming out for me to let an album grow on me over a period of weeks or months.

Absolutely. As I have said before time spent at 15 or 25 or 35 getting to know a record has a completely different value to time spent at 50. I could listen to it ten times and try and find something in it but there are too many truly great pieces of recorded music out there to spend that kind of time on something that starts out so-so and might get better over time. I have 30 odd Cope records that I really really like. Can't complain but there have been eight years of fairly so-so Cope records by his standards and I think that's me done. Would still pay to see him live solo or with a "proper" band. What I wont do is add traffic to the 21st century sweat-shop that is Spotify to find out if I am making a mistake.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Edited Jun 20, 2013, 14:51
Jun 20, 2013, 14:49
MARTASE wrote:
...is now also available on Spotify.

Despite owning it 'properly' I do like to play it on spotify too. My half dozen or so spins must have earnt JC an extra, ooh, thruppence.

very good review of it in Quietus too - http://thequietus.com/articles/12603-julian-cope-revolutionary-suicide-review

(which i now see has already been posted up, blooming extra pages i hadn't realised existed...)
keith a
9572 posts

Jun 20, 2013, 18:50
goosebal wrote:
You were right. Heard twice. It's not rubbish (apart from the atom bomb drops - please put these to bed now). Saved by two killer tunes - "They Were on Hard Drugs" - different, great. Also, "In His Cups" - one of my favourite Cope tracks in ages, I love it, not ground breaking or anything (In relation to anything else he's done) but very moreish and fabulous. Even my 10 year old daughter loved that one.

Yeah it really clicked second time with me, too!
sweetfeed
sweetfeed
105 posts

Jun 20, 2013, 23:37
Third proper listen and my initial "Erm, well, hmmm" is now a "hmmm, okay, yes!" so I'm coming round. It's the opposite to how I usually react to a new Copey record. More often than not I think it's the long hoped for 'return to form' only to discover that, well, it isn't. Maybe this one has legs after all.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Jun 21, 2013, 00:37
I guess its all up to personal taste isn't it? I don't feel I need to make myself like something by repeated listens. Generally if I don't like a album the first or second time around im most likely done with it and move on.im afraid this was the case with rev suicide for me however results may vary.
goosebal
goosebal
256 posts

Jun 22, 2013, 00:49
Haha I should've known better. How did I ever doubt the dude! Brilliant. Best effort since...I dunno ;)
keith a
9572 posts

Jun 22, 2013, 09:49
goosebal wrote:
- "They Were on Hard Drugs" - different, great.

Sure is. I was about to say it was the best Cope track since Crying Shame but then I remembered tracks like I Can Remember This Life (from Black Sheep) and Roswell off the last one. But even after a few plays it's arguably my fave track of the year so far.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Jun 25, 2013, 14:19
today is officially CopeDay in Ireland, apparently. Very good review in the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/screenwriter/2013/06/24/in-praise-of-julian-cope/
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index