This topic is locked

Pages: 18 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

The Monkees ?
Oct 28, 2010, 08:09
Hmm. I've been reading the excellent articles in the current issue of Shindig! re. 'Head', which I haven't actually seen !), although I adore Porpoise Song. A psych classic. However, I have never paid any attention to The Monkees in any other way re. the usual suspects: manafactured, didn't write or play on most of their own records, uncool blah blah.
I know 'they' produced some classic 60s pop, but that isn't necessarily enough to make me want to investigate further. I admit that I do suffer from the Serious Artist Syndrome, which I try to keep in check. So, am I missing something re. The Monkees or not. I have heard many people of sound taste champion them. Am I missing something ? If so, what should I check out?

:-)
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Re: The Monkees ?
Oct 28, 2010, 08:42
Not made any in-depth examination or anything, but they sound great.

I only have a greatest hits - not this one but for an investment of less than four quid you'll probably have all you'll need:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Im-Believer-Best-Monkees/dp/B000WTNDPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288251485&sr=8-1
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 08:46
The Sea Cat wrote:
Hmm. I've been reading the excellent articles in the current issue of Shindig! re. 'Head', which I haven't actually seen

Get on that, dewd! It's a classic piece of kamikaze filmmaking. The soundtrack is also worth listening to, and not just in a self-conscious sneering, "Look at me listening to The Monkees! Could I be more tragically hip? Hehehe" way. Circle Sky is a cool song by anyone's standards.
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 08:48
I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread slightly, but i'd like to add Mike Nesmith's solo work to the mix. I've heard whispers of its 'lost classic' status - is there any truth in this?

As for the Monkees themselves, i've only heard 'Head' - being a soundtrack, it's pretty fragmented, but it's all good fun with some lovely tracks, not least the Carole King-written 'As We Go Along' which reminds me of early Tim Buckley.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 08:50
Okay, stuff to look out for - and they actually (via a Michael Nesmith coup) took artistic control after the first two albums,
These albums are worth checking out, 'Headquarters' (the first to be be played by the band itself), 'Pisces Capricorn Aquarius & Jones', 'The Birds The Bees & The Monkees' and of course 'Head Soundtrack'. They're not consistent and there's usually a small number of Davy Jones clunkers on each album (kinda the 'Ringo' tracks of the Monkees) but there are also some bubblegum psych and garage delights courtesy of Nesmith & Tork.
Tunes to watch out for (just off the top of me head);
You Just May Be The One
Salesman
The Door Into Summer
Love Is Only Sleeping
Star Collector
Daily Nightly
Tapioca Tundra
Auntie's Municipal Court
Do I Have To Do This All Over Again
Can You Dig It?
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 08:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI-SDYGviM
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 08:57
Oct 28, 2010, 08:56
Sin Agog wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Hmm. I've been reading the excellent articles in the current issue of Shindig! re. 'Head', which I haven't actually seen

Get on that, dewd! It's a classic piece of kamikaze filmmaking. The soundtrack is also worth listening to, and not just in a self-conscious sneering, "Look at me listening to The Monkees! Could I be more tragically hip? Hehehe" way. Circle Sky is a cool song by anyone's standards.

I know! It's shameful, me a psych Head and I haven't seen it. There's a new remastered 'Head' box set out. Eduardo recommeneded a comp (thanks) and I've heard rumours of Nesmith's solo stuff, but I read in the Bert Jansch biog that in the seventies he was a rampant born again Jesus freak human coke hoover, so that sort of dampened my urge to follow that particular trail ( careful K Trout!). I'd be interested in a good remastered comp I think.

ps: was it The Wrecking Crew on their early hits, or the standard LA session guys a la The Byrds 'Mr Tambourine Man' ( I believe apart from all the vocals, McGuinn was the only one to play on that track).
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 28, 2010, 09:01
Thanks. That's very precise. I'm trying to find the best all round collection available that may contain a lot of the more interesting psych/self played songs, as well as some of the 'hits', but no luck so far. I think that would probably do, and I could remove some dross and download some individual extras instead, like you have mentioned, to complete it.
Kilgore Trout
95 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 09:06
Oct 28, 2010, 09:03
The Sea Cat wrote:
Eduardo recommeneded a comp (thanks) and I've heard rumours of Nesmith's solo stuff, but I read in the Bert Jansch biog that in the seventies he was a rampant born again Jesus freak human coke hoover, so that sort of dampened my urge to follow that particular trail ( careful K Trout!).

He he, i heed your warning, although David Crosby was similarly powder-centric and managed to produce one of my all-time favourites, 'If I Could Only Remember My Name'. Oh, and John Cale of course. They may be the exceptions to the rule, mind.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2010, 11:12
Oct 28, 2010, 09:13
I hear you, but if you combine the LA Shake & Vac effect with Jesus Freakery as well ?! That's when it all goes horribley wrong. At least Stills was chundering around in the belief that he had single handedly liberated Saigon, whilst the Cros was waving guns around and raving about John Lennon and Swiss Cheese. Throw Jesus in there and it gets seriously twisted.
Pages: 18 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index