Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: UK Reggae Greats
Dec 17, 2009, 12:05
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
SOAS was fantastic. The North London Poly gigs on Holloway Road on a Friday night were pretty great too.

I wonder if we attended any SOAS gigs in common?!

IIRC I saw A Certain Ratio at NLP, and the Virgin Prunes. Probably saw a few other things there to but don't remember. Don't recall any reggae there.

We had a lot of good stuff on where I was at college too - the LSE. Hence the domino game with Black Slate. Aswad used to regularly do Legalise Cannabis Campaign gigs there, as did Misty. RAR stuff too.

Aswad, Misty and Black Slate etc all played NLP IIRC. I saw Certain Ratio with 23 Skidoo and Bush Tetras there & Virgin Prunes supporting Pere Ubu so we were deffo at those two together. Richard Thomas who I think later managed The Fall used to book it. Didn't go to the LSE very much. Kings had some good shows in that same neck of the woods. Most the the live reggae I saw was probably at SOAS, Brixton Academy (Johnny Osbourne was especially memorable) and later the Africa Centre.

We used to go to the Africa Centre regularly too - saw some great stuff there. Blimey - we lived parallel lives!

Saw a few gigs at Kings, but always found it a bit soulless there TBH.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index