Unsung Forum »
Fileshare and illegally download now!

112 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2009, 19:46
Re: Fileshare and illegally download now!
Nov 23, 2009, 19:43
machineryelf wrote:
in reply to your final point either one would be horrible, but yes at a push I'd take Cowell

can't find the article I was looking for, it was about how you didn't need a record to make a living, which was based on a couple of singersongwriters so in a way defeated the object because eveything would have to have been multiplied by 4 or 5 for a band, but it made interested reading

http://labs.timesonline.co.uk/blog/2009/11/12/do-music-artists-do-better-in-a-world-with-illegal-file-sharing/

point 41, from one of Gang of 4, was worth reading as was rest of article

Yes this Jon King quote could have saved me 2000 words

"This neo-liberal argument springs from a narrow worldview where musicians are treated like they’re luddites fighting progress, as if they’re software. Where , rather than support talented people trying to make a living , we hear tech-heads and rich musicians talk about distribution methodologies as if musicians interests were co-terminus with soft and hardware developers. They’re not. Musicians must get paid. Illegal fiesharing is the enemy of music."

I am not banging the drum for new law but I am banging the drum for people to understand the effect of what we are doing when we download. Then people can make the choice from an informed position. The "no harm no foul" thing that is trotted out by people who are using rock n roll as a battleground for a socio-political, anti-capitalist debate is bullshit and people need to know that. After that is down to the individual. People need to know that it is rock n roll that will suffer because world, classical, folk and jazz will get the Arts Council support. The new business model for rock n roll doesn't have to be poverty.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index