Register
Unsung Forum »
Fileshare and illegally download now!

112 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Re: Fileshare and illegally download now!
Nov 21, 2009, 10:22
I would contend that a download still forms part of this wider music related economy performing in many cases the same function as a radio show or the samplers that some record shops or online dealers supply. I would also contend that, in many cases, the same people downloading files are also the ones still active in seeing bands, purchasing material and still visiting record shops.

I can also envisage a situation where if one was interested in more obscure or old music that a download would represent the only opportunity that a person on a lower income or with family commitments would have to hear a band or artist. I can imagine being upset about downloads if say I was a collector or a second hand dealer and that the value of a recording was based entirely on its rarity rather than any other merits, if I were speculating to accumulate. More pertinetly, if I was watching the value of my long searches and years of pusuit plummet as people realised that a certain recording was not only rare but also shit.

Although no collector myself my tastes run to the late sixties early seventies and I buy music to listen to. I have wasted many years chasing reissues on CD to only discover that they were shit. I know I am not alone in this. Downloads and sites like Last FM and Spotify have saved me a lot of money and time but I am old fashioned and like to have "the artefact", to own.

The main risk to music is that kids, in many cases, do not care about music in the same way that I did and do. This in part may have something to do with the ease of ownership. Raging about this is all well and good but a complete waste of time. This law was drafted by Canute and stands the same chance of success. If it does have an effect it may sever even more the link between music and the populace.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index