Loop vs Spacemen 3

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Loop vs Spacemen 3
Apr 27, 2008, 14:49
I did have the Loop back-catalogue, which sadly some ex-friend of mine borrowed, got into dance music/drugs in the 1990s and probably sold to a shop with my Quoth-cd single and The Madcap Laughs...Isn't Robert Hampson talking of reissuing the Loop back-catlalogue? I found a tape with most of Fade Out and related stuff on and it sounded good, if in need of remastering. Still...Arc-Lite, that cover of Mother Sky, Collision, Black Sun, the Pop Group cover, This is Where You End...lots of good stuff there!

Loop always seemed more rock and would probably fit in quite well with stuff like Boris, Black Mountain, & Howlin' Rain these days. They certainly weren't far from drone-meets-Sabbath on a few songs...not unlike Earth.

Sonic Boom is an odd one, though not as boring as his former partner-in-crime in Spiritualized (who, I predict, will get great reviews for their new LP - just like all their records - I'll buy it and regard it as OK and put in the pile of Spiritualized records I never play and wonder why I buy!). He pretty much put out little of interest in the 1990s, though I liked that e.p. with Beat Happening and Daniel Johnston covers on, and that compilation he did was cool. Main were more interesting than E.A.R. Spiritualized better than The Hair & Skin Trading Company, who were better than the Spiritualized spin off featuring Moon-eye et al...

I didn't hear stuff like the first Red Krayola/Crayola LP, Kick Out the Jams, & The Elevators till after I'd hear most Spacemen 3, so it's a bit rich of the Boom-meister to claim originality! I guess he donated some £££ from Revolution to John Sinclair? I know they didn't exactly keep their influences secret and covered lots...but really!

I will listen to Loop again, I tend to think S3 are The Perfect Prescription, the Transparent Radiation e.p. and that two disc version of Playing with Fire. A few other tracks - the Krautrocky-Big City, the Mudhoney cover, Hypnotised...but maybe less exciting when you can whack on Neu! 1975 or the originals of Rollercoaster and Starship? Though their version of Transparent Radiation is a case of a cover that improves on the original...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index