Loop vs Spacemen 3

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zenomatic
Zenomatic
173 posts

Loop vs Spacemen 3
Apr 27, 2008, 07:41
Just blowing off the dust of my loop and spacemen 3 records - listening to 'em, I really think Loop had the upper cut in terms of production. Dunno if it was down to the blood sweat and tears of Paul Kendall, but Loop's material (I'm referring to Fade Out, A Guilded Eternity and Arc-Lite single) is nothing short of astounding; the way the guitars are layered and panned and faded in and out - blatant dumbed description, but fuck me this was good stuff.

Spacemen 3 - love 'em sooo much, but sonic boom with his bee in his bonnet about how Loop nicked their idea: 'their first album was ok, but it wasn't anything that we'd not covered before'

maybe so, maybe Spacemen 3 was all about the naked production of yer blues, and the drugs... but for me, of a Sunday, Loop rock my world.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Loop vs Spacemen 3
Apr 27, 2008, 14:49
I did have the Loop back-catalogue, which sadly some ex-friend of mine borrowed, got into dance music/drugs in the 1990s and probably sold to a shop with my Quoth-cd single and The Madcap Laughs...Isn't Robert Hampson talking of reissuing the Loop back-catlalogue? I found a tape with most of Fade Out and related stuff on and it sounded good, if in need of remastering. Still...Arc-Lite, that cover of Mother Sky, Collision, Black Sun, the Pop Group cover, This is Where You End...lots of good stuff there!

Loop always seemed more rock and would probably fit in quite well with stuff like Boris, Black Mountain, & Howlin' Rain these days. They certainly weren't far from drone-meets-Sabbath on a few songs...not unlike Earth.

Sonic Boom is an odd one, though not as boring as his former partner-in-crime in Spiritualized (who, I predict, will get great reviews for their new LP - just like all their records - I'll buy it and regard it as OK and put in the pile of Spiritualized records I never play and wonder why I buy!). He pretty much put out little of interest in the 1990s, though I liked that e.p. with Beat Happening and Daniel Johnston covers on, and that compilation he did was cool. Main were more interesting than E.A.R. Spiritualized better than The Hair & Skin Trading Company, who were better than the Spiritualized spin off featuring Moon-eye et al...

I didn't hear stuff like the first Red Krayola/Crayola LP, Kick Out the Jams, & The Elevators till after I'd hear most Spacemen 3, so it's a bit rich of the Boom-meister to claim originality! I guess he donated some £££ from Revolution to John Sinclair? I know they didn't exactly keep their influences secret and covered lots...but really!

I will listen to Loop again, I tend to think S3 are The Perfect Prescription, the Transparent Radiation e.p. and that two disc version of Playing with Fire. A few other tracks - the Krautrocky-Big City, the Mudhoney cover, Hypnotised...but maybe less exciting when you can whack on Neu! 1975 or the originals of Rollercoaster and Starship? Though their version of Transparent Radiation is a case of a cover that improves on the original...
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 27, 2008, 16:45
[/quote]

Spiritualized (who, I predict, will get great reviews for their new LP - just like all their records - I'll buy it and regard it as OK and put in the pile of Spiritualized records I never play and wonder why I buy!).

[/quote]

well don't buy the fucker then, I'd have thought it was common sense, you ain't gonna play it,don't buy it and don't whinge about it.
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Apr 27, 2008, 16:54
Jason Spaceman makes me feel glad to be alive....
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2008, 18:49
Apr 27, 2008, 18:48
Jasonaparkes wrote:
...or the originals of Rollercoaster and Starship? Though their version of Transparent Radiation is a case of a cover that improves on the original...

shit, the 17 minute rollercoaster takes that song THRU THE WALL ... incredible, restrained, HEAVY ... for that reason alone, S3 beat loop every time ... i really like the primitive early loop recs tho (head on, esp)
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Apr 28, 2008, 11:51
Apr 28, 2008, 11:50
I'd guess that S3 had the larger and more eclectic record collection ;-)

Yeah, both bands put out some amazin' stuff in their time especially when the limited resources at their disposal are considered but the sheer diversity of S3's material with its nods ( ouch ) to gospel, country,blues and soul gives them the edge for me personally.

With hindsight (admittedly with Loop's cover of Mother Sky playing ), Loop's influences seemed more European whereas S3's were predominantly American although IMO the influence of Suicide on both is pretty apparent.

Sonic's bitchin' about Loop nicking S3's ideas is laughable though.
Reckon he could teach us all a thing or two about plagiarising ' the right stuff '.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 12:38
I guess that a big problem for Sonic was that he had to watch Loop getting all the plaudits (lets not forget - no one liked Spacemen 3 , not the indie public or the press, initially. Then Josh the tea boy at Glass Records forms a band, and the rest you know).
Both bands were great.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 13:58
Yeah, very good point Wiggy, it's easy to forget in 2008 that S3 were pretty much derided in their day. For Sonic to see another band getting the plaudits that S3 rightfully deserved must have been a bit galling that's for sure !
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2015, 22:31
Apr 28, 2008, 14:29
bubblehead2 wrote:
Yeah, very good point Wiggy, it's easy to forget in 2008 that S3 were pretty much derided in their day. For Sonic to see another band getting the plaudits that S3 rightfully deserved must have been a bit galling that's for sure !

Especially when Loop supported Spacemen 3 several times before they got signed, then virtually denied all knowledge of the latter's existance in interviews. I don't blame Sonic for feeling riled personally - various friends and assoiciates (like Pat Fish aka the Jazz Butcher, and future Spacemen / Spiritualized guitarist Mark Refoy) were willing to testify in Erik Morse's book that the Spacemen tought Loop a good deal.

I still like both bands, though. Overall S3 probably left behind a more impressive recorded legacy IMO - they made at least two masterpieces ("The Perfect Prescription" and "Playing With Fire") whereas Loop only made one ("A Gilded Eternity"). Both the Spacemen's debut and Loop's first two albums sound like the products of bands who were still learning the ropes and had yet to find a solid identity of their own.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Apr 28, 2008, 15:03
I'd given up on the music press back then and only read about the squabble some time afterwards so it's been enlightening to read about their common history. It's certainly put some perspective on my limited knowledge !

I couldn't agree more with your comments regarding their recorded output though, well, apart from adding the Transparent Radiation EP ( it's as long as most LP's anyway ! ) to your S3 list ;-)
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index