Best records of the year so far?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Best records of the year so far?
Aug 03, 2007, 05:23
Hmmm, I saw Of Montreal opening for some shit band a couple years ago and thought they were very good -- I really wouldn't have paid much attention to the new LP if they weren't.

I guess everybody has good nights and bad nights!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 04, 2007, 20:44
Another one I'm starting to fall for in a big way:

Black Moth Super Rainbow - "Dandelion Gum"

Warm fuzzy analog synthesizer pop, very much captures the vibe of old moog records but with a more modern polish. Heavily processed "robot vocals" give it a 21st century Bruce Haack feel!
bernie the bolt
bernie the bolt
189 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 00:51
Chaosmonger wrote:

SUPPOSEDLY new Electric Wizard this year also, >>

I thought they were dead. Has anyone heard that new Ramesses?

Just found this post.
The prospect of new Electric Wizard is getting me in a lather. Really wanna hear that. From the self-titled first one through to We Live - awesome doom metal.
If you're referring to Misanthropic Alchemy by Ramesses then by heck yes, it is mighty.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 11:43
I'm also stuck into (re)discovering old stuff most of the time. I got the new Fall CD but not too thrilled with it. I like Lightening Dust's LP, which I think is from this year. And I'd give that Joan as Police Woman woman a 8/10 score (but it might be end of 2006.)
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 12:04
The only one which has really kept me coming back for more has been 'Blink of a Nihilist' by BC Camplight.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2007, 15:11
Aug 14, 2007, 12:55
Titan "A Rain of sunlight & Love for you & you & you"

Lesbian "Powerhor"

Julian Cope - YGAPWM?

Mithras "Beyond The Veil Lies Madness"

And there's been other stuff but not necessarily with a 2007 release date.
gogmagog
176 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2007, 15:00
Aug 14, 2007, 15:00
My best 07' LP thus far have been

GRAILS - Burning Off Impurities (on Temporary Residence) - a great rockist tack on Heart of Glass-era Popol Vuh - mystical guitar rock has never sounded so healthy as it does on this latest release from Grails.
(Fans of Charalambides, Ash Castles on the Ghost Coast etc.. should apply)

and secondly,

Titan A Raining Sun of Light and Love for You and You and You - like the sticker on the front says (for once) - a mix of Ash Ra Tempel, Hawkwind, adn something else which escapes me at the moment. Titan's debut is a heady mix of blistering early Wallenstein-type space-rock (organ to the fore), and motorick neu-grooves. Reccomended.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 15:21
gogmagog wrote:

Titan A Raining Sun of Light and Love for You and You and You - like the sticker on the front says (for once) - a mix of Ash Ra Tempel, Hawkwind, adn something else which escapes me at the moment. Titan's debut is a heady mix of blistering early Wallenstein-type space-rock (organ to the fore), and motorick neu-grooves. Reccomended.

Tis splendid indeed. Only had it about a week or so and I've been caning it loads.
the dude
the dude
312 posts

Aug 14, 2007, 16:29
radio moscow, top bluesy garage rock
the dragons, excellent electro rock styly
copey, u got a problem with me has grown on me that it is now one of my faves for this year
hawkwind space ritual, the deluxe ed the same lp but just better
primal scream gotta love the scream man
loads of old stuff that haS FLOATED MY BOAT sundial, pink fairies, terry reid,. the fall
six by seven
sonic rendevouz band
more john martyn live stuff
dead meadow
early comets on fire
steve hillage remasters
doors remasters
grinderman
stooges
the waterboys
mellow candle
the young gods
and finally dogntank fackin quality
gogmagog
176 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2007, 14:24
Aug 14, 2007, 18:25
Great stuff isn't it moon cat. - coupla other groups throwing out the same kind of cosmic swag are EARTHLESS (who might as well just call themselves an ASH RA TEMPEL tribute act)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mkrVb877zfM

and CHARALAMBIDES (who might as well veer from being a POPOL VUH tribute act one week and an A.R. & MACHINES tribute act the next)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wuMaytZyPCs

all joking aside though, I think its great that some of these younger acts are making great swathes of abstract rock-atronica - and the axis has definitely shifted to America/Canada over the last five years in terms of the best experimental rock - the above acts, sunburned, ash castles.., godspeed (one of the best live experiences I've had in 25 years of gig attending), grails, vetiver, sonn 0)) the list (and, indeed, the beat) goes on -

gogmagog
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index