Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2007, 19:51
Re: The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?
Jun 10, 2007, 19:50
Totally. And Richard Thompson era Fairports too but Television never did the bar band thing which is the Dead's undoing I think. If the Dead had stuck to the psych explorations their legacy would have been matchless but as it is they spent too much time trying to do something they were really shit at - rockin' out.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Jun 10, 2007, 20:52
Yup I agree. But y'see I know that that rocking out stuff is proper shit and have stayed clear from it, I wont buy anything by a band that is shit just for the sake of making it up in my record collection. So i'm basing this on their greatest achievements listed earlier but adding workingmans dead etc....

I mean, you can argue this til the cows come home..America's greatest band..what about the Doors?. They are as true to American culture as the Dead where.............

Let's hear it. The Doors: America's greatest band...yeah?
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 03:31
The Doors were truly damned cool

but I gotta real thing for
2 guitars, bass guitar, drums
with maybe some extras
and that cuts the playing field back some

Velvets make it in, Television makes it in,
Royal Trux is cool enough to make it even with the one guitar
(Jen's voice counts as a 2nd one)

which isn't to say I don't love some trios or whatever else...

But for greatest rocknroll band, I gotta have
the greatest rocknroll format
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2007, 04:35
Jun 11, 2007, 04:16
Hmm, after due consideration my vote goes to Parliafunkadelicment.

More heart, more soul, more disparate influences, more consistant, more influential,better hooklines, better musicians,etc. Oh, musn't forget their sheer theatricality too.

Mind you, the Dead have rarely engaged me, i just never seemed to get 'em, it probably speaks volumes that my fave Dead LP is Workingmans.

Sly & the Family Stone would be right up there too BTW.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 06:09
After due care and consideration, taking into account both the Allmans and The Band, and not wanting to get into twisted arguements about whether the Dead can rock[they can] it suddenly occurred to me that no one has mentioned Creedance Clearwater Revival, surely they are America's greatest band
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2007, 07:06
Jun 11, 2007, 07:05
Doors vs Dead. Interesting one. Have to think about that. Doors I reckon. Just.

I've tended to avoid the Dead's studio albums completely apart from Blues For Allah and Wake of the Flood and concentrated on the live ones instead of which I have about 40 hours of boots and offical releases. That 40 hours boils down to about 10 hours of killer highlights. Which is I think a fair representation of their strike rate on stage.

As for the legacy thing they have made such a big deal about marketing cd sets of entire shows rather than true highlights that every purchase comes with at least one disc of horrible blues / country rock. It's the singing that is really the problem though (unlike say Little Feat) they can't fonk, grind or boogie for love nor money.

What would be ideal for me would be Garcia playing with the Black Crowes which is a fair indication of where my tastes for American rock are at outside of Detroit, Boston and New York.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

you are crazy ... everyone knows it's half japanese!
Jun 11, 2007, 07:50
(i kinda like some dead stuff, but i no later than "live dead" for me, whereas w/ half jap i even like their post-david fair stuff)
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 11:23
I would say that Spirit have an equal claim.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 13:29
Good call.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 13:29
The Band would walk it if they weren't Canadian
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index