Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?
Jun 11, 2007, 15:45
Would you accept whoever was backing Neil Young as America's greatest band[with mostly Americans], especially if it happened to be Booker T and the MG's.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 16:08
er .... not sure I follow. I'm more of a Motown man myself.

I think the Canadian / US distinction is important.

Levon Helm was American the rest of the Band were (I think) from Stratford Ontario and thereabouts.

The Band are to me a Canadian thing. Neil Young and Joni ditto. Their nationality informs their art in a big way but Brian Adams could be from anywhere.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 16:15
not iconic enough.... motley crue?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 17:00
Yes but Crazy Horse is all American guys and Neil has lived in the US since the 1960's (I wonder what country he's a citizen of these days.)

So it's worth thinking about "North America" as a whole and not Canada vs. USA -- Canadians entertainers have always "come south" to develop their careers. (If Neil had stayed in Canada he'd probably be Gordon Lightfoot!)
ron
ron
706 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 17:27
doors

dunno about "the greatest" but deffo one of my fav's... still relevant after awl these years... "american prayer" the spoken word album of morrison's poetry and musings interspersed with music overdubs still blows me away... heady stuff indeed...

the dead wouldn't even make my top 100, but that's cool if'n u lioke'm... i won't fite anyone over it... i really liked santana much better for that era... but the dead was cool in their own way...

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

AGREED
Jun 11, 2007, 17:28
You are right, it's got to be P-Funk.

Only beating the Velvet Underground because of longetivity.
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: AGREED
Jun 11, 2007, 17:39
nah... parliment sold out...

p-funk just turned up as the music for a honda odessy advert on tee ee ee vee...

disgusted am i...

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 17:49
How did Parliament "sell out" exactly?

As for selling songs for adverts, if Parliament gets a fine for littering then The Who and Rolling Stones deserve life in prison!
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 17:52
Hey Dog, really looking forward to your P-Funk spectacular on the 4th of July, tear the roof off the sucka dude !

Oh, The Velvets were right at the top of my list of contenders too, P-Funk won out just on the sheer quantity of great music in their back catalogue.
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 17:56
What song did they use in the ad Ron?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index