Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: AGREED
Jun 11, 2007, 18:00
P. Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)

from my fav album... mothership connection

breaks my heart...

x
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:03
Oh dear, that's about as incongruous as using Search & Destroy for Nike trainers !
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:05
Exactly - I figure album-for-album the Velvets are impossible to beat. But P-Funk has like 15 good albums and the Velvets have 4. (Goes back to what I said earlier -- most American bands seem to rise & fall quickly -- British bands are better at "career management" I guess.)

PS - the P-Funk song currently selling minivans is "Give Up The Funk" -- cuz nothing says funky like a minivan right?

PPS - unfortunately the P-Funk special is likely to be FM radio-only this year (at least most of it) with no archive version, due to I actually am trying to follow the rules for webcasting content (4 songs per artist can't fill all three hours, even with all the permutations of parliafunkadelicmentelechy.) We'll see, I haven't even started thinking about the details of that one yet.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:06
No, it's "Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)" -- had to check the disc to get the complete title correct!

(chorus: "we want the funk, give up the funk")
ron
ron
706 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:09
i suppose that there may have been a legitimate reason for allowing such a great song to be used in such a blatantly corse commercial...

just one of those moments... like the Zep song "It's been a long time (since I Rocked and Rolled)" in the Cadillac advert... that leave me in despair...

but it's not my song, and someone may need a transplant or something...

my applogies for being overly judgemental...

x
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?
Jun 11, 2007, 18:19
Actually i was taking the piss with Neil, but i've always thought the Band were the pinnacle of ''Americanness'' despite being s you say mostly Canadian, maybe why they do ''American'' so well.
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:20
Dagnabbit ! I may have to temporarily move to Wisconsin then ;-)

Forgot about the ridiculous restraints that you have to adhere to. I was reallly looking forward to that as i'm sure you'll be playing original vinyl where possible, I've oinly got the represses that came out in the 90's. I was interested to hear if there were any subtle differences.
ron
ron
706 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:29
yup.. had to fetch my disc outta the truck to check...

p.funk chorus... "make my funk the p.funk... i wants to get funked up..."

as the man sez thats wot happens when u get doobie in ur funk...

middle age memory fully engaged,

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:32
But I guess the question is, what would a "quintessentially Canadian" band sound like anyway? Songs about hockey sung in a French accent? ;-)
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 11, 2007, 18:50
hmm - silly me

The Black Crowes have a damn good case
for America's Greatest Rocknroll Band

I would tend to rule out Sly and P-Funk
as not being exactly rocknrol bands, however
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index