Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?
Jun 09, 2007, 12:06
yeah, or maybe a tie with the beach boys...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 12:57
I'm not a Deadhead but I give credit where it's due. They are (were) a good band with some fine original material, and they are (were) inarguably the most beloved of any working musical group in N. America.

A friend of mine who is into them was telling me about a band called Dark Star Orchestra that does note-for-note recreations of past live Dead shows. I find that level of 'Deadication' way too cultish for my sensibilities but it's a good example of how influential the Dead are on a multigenerational swath of music fans here in the USA.

They epitomize the west coast psychedelic sound... bluesy, festive, folksy.

If you were to rephrase your statement to say 'Grateful Dead: Americas most beloved band?" I'd say definitely.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 14:28
Headbands?

http://www.limbos.org/suicide/suicide/alan_vega.jpg

bloody hippies get everywhere
bolox
bolox
311 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 14:48
handofdave wrote:
Dark Star Orchestra

Hophead or Deadhead? I prefer the Dark Star Brewery in Ansty Sussex. Best outlet for their beer; the Evening Star , Surrey Street, Brighton.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 16:04
red peony wrote:
I love the acoustic vibe and makes me think of sitting around a campfire roasting marshmallows in my youth.

I don't think they were marshmallows.....

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/students2/hrc/images/halluc1.gif

=:-D
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 16:15
I know. They'd be fab if it wasn't for him ; )
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 16:27
I am not anti-Dead and will give them more credit than most I suspect. But they're not really a "rock" band -- though I suppose you didn't put "rock" in the header!

So I could think of lots of better "rock bands"! Start with The Stooges. Half credit to the Jimi Hendrix Experience (which was 2/3 British but all the ideas came from the American 1/3.)

In the non-rock category I think there's lots of American bands that were better than the Dead (at least three of Miles Davis' groups for instance.)

I do think that the historically the "huge popular groups" tend to be British though, whereas the really important American groups tend to flame out quickly or have "more influence than popularity" (exhibit A: The Velvet Underground. Compare to Beatles, Zep, Stones, Floyd etc. . . . )

On an unrelated topic, it has recently occurred to me that Steve Miller is the American Eric Clapton. Discuss!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 16:29
Yes, those are the three albums to make the case with!!

Got to hear Aoxomoxoa in the original vinyl mix though -- the 1971 remix (source for all cassette & CD issues) is a hack job.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 18:26
Dog 3000 wrote:
On an unrelated topic, it has recently occurred to me that Steve Miller is the American Eric Clapton. Discuss!

They both smell like warmed-over cheeze when you leave 'em in the sun for an hour.
earthlingdave
earthlingdave
285 posts

Jun 09, 2007, 20:20
yr not wrong bout the velvets dave!!!! my all time fave act

i cried like a girl when sterling passed on... what a dude
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index