Unsung Forum »
Your least favourite acts, ever

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Your least favourite acts, ever
Jul 30, 2005, 01:54
Oh, of course! Musical taste is totally subjective anyhows. Maybe you were just irked that I slagged off It Bites, and by the same token I'm disappointed that no-one's come to the defence of Fields Of The Nephilim yet, just so I can have an excuse to go off on one of my cathartic anti-Goth rants! Friends again indeed.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 30, 2005, 02:08
<why should you or anyone else for that matter give a flying fuck who's singing the blues as long as the music's good?>

Yeah, but that's exactly my point. To my ears, it's not! I honestly think the blues works more effectively with one guy / gal singing and playing with an acoustic guitar, being a very personal, autobiographical form of music that doesn't easily lend itself to the rock band format. Spookily, at the very moment I'm posting this message, Mississippi John Hurt has just come up on random play on my MP3 player singin "Stack O'Lee Blues", and it moves me more than all of the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac records I've ever heard put together. Personally I find early Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall, Ten Years After and even most of Cream's stuff pretty unexciting compared to the musicians they were inspired by.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jul 30, 2005, 03:58
....although i don't like putting others down, I'd have to elect possibly the two boys who shook the Wirral, aka OMD for general daftness and nerdism and possibly Duran Duran for clod hopping beats and careless tubthumpery and dreadful vocal deliveries. That's it - everyone else is great - even the Wombles.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Re: cancerous one
Jul 31, 2005, 20:20
I'd just like to testify as to Mr C's funk pedigree.
In the past he has sent me awsome discs chokka-block with rare funk grooves and lots more besides. My knowledge and appreciation of funk has inceased 100 fold thanks to Cancer Boy, he has also given me some pretty interesting avenues to explore.
cheers Mr C.

Fitz
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 04:27
I think JJ is strictly a one-off. Though many have tried to imitate, his style is quite unique. He plays bass not like a frustrated guitarist, but like....like Keith Moon played the drums!
vince
vince
1628 posts

What is Goth, REALLY?
Aug 01, 2005, 04:34
I submit The Cure were not Goth. Goth adopted them. they were just unlucky. Even Bauhaus weren't goth in the beginning (they were around too early) Just second-rate glam.

The Mission etc. were just crap, lets face it. The musical equivalent of, er, snakebite & black. (ie semmed like a good idea at the time, cheap & nasty & left one feeling sick as a feckin dog the next morning....)

But then there was the 4AD stuff (Cocteaus, Dead Can Dance, etc), some good Euro stuff (Minimal Compact etc) which many considered 'Goth'.

For my money it's a term that's banded around too easily these days - unfairly for many as it means nothing but offence in my eyes.....
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 04:41
Now there's a man who talks sense....nice one Elf!
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 04:44
I've probably mentioned this before but i once had the pleasure of visiting Conny's studio & found they had a Eurythmics gold disc propping up the toilet bowl.

Interesting that they chose Lennox & Stewart over Kraftwerk....not a difficult choice.....
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 04:45
Jimmy fucking Buffet.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 04:52
REM!!!!!!

What an almighty crock of shite. . A bit of eyeliner makes you interesting does it Stipe? Whinging, bald headed git (takes one to spot one!)
Joe 90 on bass & some drunk, over-rated lardarse Byrds copyist on guitar. no wonder farmboy left.

One bloody song, that's all. And the best part of that was by Leonard Bernstein....
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index