Soundtrack To Our Lives w/e 30/04/05

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stensil Head
Stensil Head
201 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives w/e 30/04/05
May 02, 2005, 05:51
Hope y'all are having a restful weekend (had two birthday parties so far so i'm pretty wasted...off hiking around Winchcombe / Belas Knap tomorrow, just hope the weather holds).

Nick Cave - Abatoir Blues /Lyre Of Orpheus
Bought this for a pal, who it turns out has it already. Not much of a Cave fan truth be told, but this is OK. Only listened to Abatoir so far, but it sounds more rocky than other stuff i've heard by him, s'OK, not gonna blow my world wide open or anything though. I'm guessing the other album is the flipside, ie quieter ? Will give it a spin later.

Coil - And The Ambulance Died In His Arms.
This is great, one of their quieter performances (aka Birmingham, Supersonic Festival appearance, but with vocals this time). Actually, i recognise about half of these records from other live shows, just didn't have the titles to go with them. Johnn turns in a 'sedate' performance, but there's plenty of crowd interaction between songs, which was nice to hear. Almost brought a lump to my throat to hear him in full lyrical flow. Timeslips in the Marylebone Road anyone ??

White Stripes - Live at Blackpool Lights
Skimmed this soundtrack off the DVD as it's such a kicker performance...been playing it on and off all week. Particularly like the 'Take A Whiff on Me ' track, pure nonsense.

Nurse With Wound - Shipwrecked Radio.
Doesn't do much for me to be honest. I was expecting lots af Arctic daftness, but got a bunch of unfocused drones. Mind you, i've only played disc one so far, here's hoping disc two is a bit more interesting.
Now i know a lot of peeps here really rate ole Stevie, but i gotta say, i find a lot of his output patchy at best. Likes include Spiral Insana, Second Pirate Session, Chance Meeting... dislikes...Thunder Perfect Mind, Sylvie & Babs, ....Marie.

Gun Club - Fire of Love
My old New Rose CD is still holdng up after all these years. I'm told this has been reissued again, but i'm not gonna fork for it unless the sound is appreciably better. Still, just about the best, ost cohesive record ole Jeffrey Lee ever turned out.

Anyhow, i'm sure there's been more, but that's all i can recall for now.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index