Soundtrack To Our Lives w/e 30/04/05

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives w/e 30/04/05
May 01, 2005, 18:16
What have I been listening to this week?
Van DEr GRaaf Generator Present. Very strong return to form from the reunited band. I think they've changed a bit since they don't seem to be consciously avoiding a groove any more. Walking into college today listening to the lp on my walkman I was wondering if there is much (if any) guitar on it or if what I took to be that was played on other instruments. I know Hammill took up playing it with the later band.
Also has me wondering about what other bands have reunited this strongly. Can think of Mission of BUrma and Television. Any others?

Fall Totally Wired THe Rough TRade compi.
Didn't have quite a bit of this and found it cheap in a HMV sale which is nice.
Loads of great stuff on here think it verges on colour instead of the b&w sound I half remembered it as.

Pelt Ayahuasca Disc1
Long droney largely instrumental acid drenched folk stuff. Has me wondering what its main influences are.
Were there many doing things like this before their advent?

Strawbs From The Witchwood.
Pretty good in places though the vocalist is an acquired taste and some of this does get a tad monochrome.
Rick Wakeman's pretty good on it, as he is so often as a sideman (& I thunk I were a punk).

Richard and Lindsa Thompson Pour Down LIke Silver + I want to SEe THe BRight LIghts Tonight
Greatdour folk rock from the early 70s. Bright LIghts is one of the best of the genre methinks especially in this remastered version. It's where the original of Calvary CRoss resides, here joined by a long live version as a bonus track. The lp is bolstered by some strange instrumentation, crumhorns and accordians etc but really is rather tasteful
Pour Down LIke Silver has R&L as recent sufi converts and is pretty sparse. Apparently Richjard thought he'd add a lot of overdubbing later then thought better of it. Works dashed well anyway.

Nick Cave Bsides and rarities. Great to finally get a lot of this. Been wanting the Shane Macgowan collaboeration since it came out. Grat overview.

Shelagh mcdonald Stargazer or Let No Man Steal Your THyme disc2. Bunged this on to make a walkman tape. Pretty great folk rock stuff with backing band including R THompson and several Actioin/Mighty Baby types among others. She is a bit like a female NIck DRake and uses the same orchestrator. Lovely.

Jackson C FRank Blues Run The Game disc1. Bunged this on the bside of the aforementioned tape. Great folk singer, Especially the '75 material.

Stray Time Machine Disc1
Pretty good compi of psychy stuf to melodic hard rock. Sounds in places like the next step after Small Faces/Action mod rock meets far more heavy. Glad I got played sme of their stuff over Xmas, think I might need to invest in the 1st couple of lps separately too.

Hawkwind Doremi Fasol Latido
Getting into this band, could get much more into them. Was without much of them for ages, think they're one of the greatest things to come out of early 70s britain yum.

Nightclub playing a lot of 3rd World Funk including an Afro-Spacerock thing that I'm told comes from the luaka Bop World Psych compi volume 3. So've ordered it.
Great heavy guitar, not something i'd expected from the continent at the time possibly greatest track ever heard I thought at the time. Rest of the dj set was pretty great too, he played Fela Kuti's Zombie just before and severaol tracks of Spanish(portuguese?) language rap.

Oh yeah my other walkman tape's been Jimi Hendrix live at Berkley/Caspar Brotzmann Home.
Both sides are pretty visceral and have guitar as tone far more than classically played. Though Hendrix is far more melodic, Caspar's reflects the primitive artwork tyhat he adoprned his early lps with by sounding like bronosaurus roars.
Sure I've played a lot of other stuff but can't think what.
Stevo
Np Captain Beefheart Click-Clack
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index