Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: oxford gig
Sep 28, 2004, 08:50
'I was unaware I was being loud and annoying.'

I didn't think you were, Lucan. In fact, I didn't think any of us were. We did most of that at the pub for 3 hours before.... which is exactly why we went to the pub for 3 hours before. For my own part, I spent most of the gig staring at Julian in silence with a silly self-satisfied grin on my face watching him play.

However, I still defend the right of people to talk to each other, sing-a-long, dance and generally get groovy at gigs.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 09:00
For what its worth I was about 3 rows back from you and didn't notice - but I could just be getting deaf in my dotage........
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 09:50
>> maybe coventry tic toc in peggy suicide days.

Did you do both the electric and acoustic nights? Was a great gig that one!
landells
landells
680 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 10:00
Soul Desert was lovely - I don't think I've ever heard so many people singing along to Julian song - a lovely moment

Talking at gigs: not tryna blame Julian but he talks w/ the crowd so much and often comes out w/ mad and/or interesting stuff that I reckon a lot of the chat that goes on is people talking about what Julian has just said - I know I'm guilty of that
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Holey missed out...
Sep 28, 2004, 10:03
...on the World Famous Coconut Love Cake!
Where were you ?
I thought you might of been there to share the Love.

<tsk> never mind

<|:o) notd
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 10:04
<|;oX
bigjaybee
106 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 11:06
Hey, I was a bit intimidated by two scallies next to me at Oxford, they seemed to be getting quite irate about the lack of a full band with Copey. I should have said something, but had smoked too much before the gig and was having total paranoia about the situation. It would have been a friendly thing to do and probably broken the ice for them...hey ho! Hindsight is always 20/20

Interestingly enough, by moving a bit to my left and letting them stand side to side, it changed the whole dynamics and I was able to get my groove thang back on! Woo hooo! I must be entering my second psychedelic phase :)
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 11:17
>However, I still defend the right of people to talk to each
>other [...] at gigs.

Irritating though it is obviously going to be, talking at Cope gigs is hardly a new thing, especially not when he does quiet stuff and when the venue is bar-y. Talking about talking at Cope gigs is not a new thing to this forum either - there's been plenty of discussion about that throughout the tour, BUT ... a new poster essentially getting flamed for mentioning being disappointed with people talking at a Cope gig ... on a Cope forum, by a regular - well that's a new one on me.

Nobody was defending the talkers last week, were they? Had it not been people whom you were there with, I somehow doubt you'd have waded in and had a go at the guy.

I'm really not here to harp on about gig etiquette, but I DO think that flaming the guy for complaining about the talking is absolutely fucking absurd, given the circumstances.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

A Pome (no offense intended!)
Sep 28, 2004, 11:47
Now I didn't know
I must admit
There were rules for a gig
O I feel such a tit.

I thought rock n roll
was for shouting and dancing
and moving and grooving
for leaping and prancing.

So I've been wrong all these years,
and I've learned with a lurch
that a gig should be silent
and quiet as a church.

I would have thought
(though I'm only a pup)
that given this problem,
TURN THE MUSIC UP!

In the future I don't think
that I'll ever leave the house,
now that HEATHEN ROCK N ROLL
requires me to be (shhhhh!)
quiet as a mouse...
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Quiet at the back
Sep 28, 2004, 12:04
I don't recall anyone saying anything against people singin-anna-dancin - that's what everyone is there for. Even the odd heckle at a gig can be fun. People chatting away and <i>seemingly</i> ignoring the artiste can wind up people who are trying to enjoy the gig, especially if their actions are distracting. However, personally I don't think the sit-down venues do anything to discourage a more 'social' atmosphere.

Now a general comment not aimed at you Squid!:

Some have said that if Julian had been more engaging then some folks wouldn't have talked. Fair comment, but if the man on the stage ain't grabbing you then feck off outta there and let the others at the gig enjoy it. Complain at the door on the way out that the sound rig is crap or the man's bollox and not worth the entrance fee if it makes you happier. It don't make any sense staying at a gig you don't like, especially when there's probably a cheaper place to drink down the road where you can talk as much as you want.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index