Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Quiet at the back
Sep 28, 2004, 12:10
>I don't recall anyone saying anything against people singin-anna-dancin<

I know Fourwinds, just having a bit of fun! I hope folk won't take me too seriously for the above, I do realise it might have been annoying for folk if the talking was loud, but no-one did it on purpose I don't think. I wonder if most of the problem was down to the dodgy acoustics of the venue?

Squid
x
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Re: A Pome (no offense intended!)
Sep 28, 2004, 12:13
Might be worth checking out the 'best before' date on those biscuits, Squid...
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: Holey missed out...
Sep 28, 2004, 12:19
And very yumm it was!

Despite suspising you were spiking me ;-) (soz for that)

Evidently someone did! Oh it was me ....
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 12:21
you might have a point there! mind you, I think it was the gig that fried my brain rather than the bickies!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: oxford gig
Sep 28, 2004, 12:21
I just want to add a wee point - a personal one - not aimed at anyone at all... Just my personal thoughts on the gig as a whole...

I thought the gig was superb! Julian, as far as I was concerned, put on a spectacular show. I'm still buzzing from it, actually! He made me laugh. I'm in total awe of the guy's talent, frankly.

There was a lot of background murmur, but as I was happily watching and listening to Julian, it didn't bother me one iota.

There do seem to be a lot of people around here (not just on this thread) who seem all too willing to have a dig at him, and I just wonder to myself, time and again, why anyone would want to go to the gigs, or hang around the website dedicated to him, who really think he's as bad as they say!

I've only ever seen him twice now - once in Southampton ("An Audience With...") and Oxford last Saturday. Both times I was mightily impressed. I came away smiling both times.

The reaction from the crowd both times, after every song, emphasised to me how good he was. Despite all the "lack of concentration" apparently going on, applause and cheering a-plenty followed each number.

Everybody I met was really lovely and friendly as well. I think they all left happy.

:o)

G x
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 12:26
That's similar to how I felt, tbh I don't know if talked or what, I was out celebrating with my friends!

Absolutely not interested in offending anyone

Nice one squid, i think the metaphor works ;-)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 12:40
>>>>'a new poster essentially getting flamed'
I didn't think I'd flamed anyone, and I'm distressed to hear you felt I had. I expressed what I thought. Strongly perhaps. Just like you have just done. Just like oxford stu did. Just like we all do.

>>>>'Nobody was defending the talkers last week, were they? Had it not been people whom you were there with, I somehow doubt you'd have waded in and had a go at the guy.'
I don't really understand what you mean here, Holes. I'm not defending - or attacking - anyone in particular. I still defend the right of people to talk to each other at gigs. As it happens, I stood -quiet as a mouse, actually- at the front, intently listening and watching, singing along occasionally. People should be free to listen, talk, drink, boogie, groove, etc at gigs. We all express our joy at seeing Julian play his music in different ways and we all have to live together and tolerate each other. That's what I was saying. There're lots of behaviours I don't approve of, but while they're legal, I have to tolerate them!

>>>>'I'm really not here to harp on about gig etiquette,'
I thought that's exactly what we were talking about. I guess we all have different ideas about what constitutes 'acceptible'. And you're damned right - I would be mightily miffed if anyone so much as sniffed during a chamber music recital, but a Julian gig is not exactly the same, is it...

Anyway, Holes, I was disappointed to see you weren't there. I believe you put in surprise guest appearances at other gigs. I really like to watch you play your... your... (don't know what it's called!) the thing that looks like a barbeque. Will you be at Northampton?
J
x
bigjaybee
106 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 12:51
Well said that man!

Very much looking forward to seeing it all over on Thursday :)

I can't believe that no-one has used the word "shamanic" in all this arguing so far ;)
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 13:00
Holes, I dunno why you seem to feel a group of people are ganging up on Oxford Stu and flaming him.

Goffik’s response was that he didn’t really notice the talking much himself.
Mine was ‘I’m one of the guys you described. I apologize, I wish you’d told me at the time, or you could have moved somewhere else, but I wasn’t talking through the whole thing like you said, (I didn’t even stand in the same place all night, for a start) and I feel a bit unfairly singled out.’
Pooh Bear said she’d asked a couple of people to ‘shush’ but hadn’t noticed it being excessive. As did ratcn01 in his response.
Jane did bark. If you look further down the thread she and Oxford Stu made up and made light of it.

The reality is that some of us talked a bit, but we weren’t talking through the whole gig, and got understandably a bit miffed for being singled out and being accused of talking through the whole thing. Which IS NOT THE CASE. Oxford Stu said as much himself further down the thread. Holes, you weren’t there, so you don’t know what the reality was as opposed to how it was initially portrayed. Oxford Stu retracted the ‘through the whole gig’ thing and everything seemed to be hunky dory again with I for one having some food for thought for how I conduct myself when I go to one of these solo gigs in future.

The reactions were as they were because, at least for me, it felt personal and a bit unfair. I was not defending talking at gigs, but myself against a portrayal which I felt was a bit inaccurate. None of us was abusive to Oxford Stu, and I’m sure I’d give him a big hug if I met him, too.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 13:02
Oh, and I've seen a few photos from the gig with me in them and I'm not talking in any of them so far.

GAH!
Someone, please tell me to shut the fuck up!

;-)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index