oxford gig

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: oxford gig
Sep 27, 2004, 20:55
i hope i'm not to blame for the "narkyness" of this thread. I felt that the original post here did not state the reasons for their anoyance at the off and was being personal about someones appearance, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything. I only noticed loud talking once and I asked people to be quiet, (sorry i whacked you by accident pooh) and hope that the anoyance of talking dosn't extend to singing which i was guilty of and would like to say sorry if that annoyed annyone. Often the sound is so loud that you have to shout to be heard by the person next to you which probably carries further than you think. I'd hate to think I spoiled anyones night at a gig, which i think seems to be the general consenous, or irritated the performer, but live music is a social thing, if you wanna hear it with no distractions at all thats what your stereo's for. Now i'm gonna be quiet.
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Sep 27, 2004, 21:04
Oddly enough i think cope attracts enthusiastic fans who tend to enjoy themselves (sometimes a little too much maybe!!!) but hey what the fuck, its all cos they love the man and his music/philosophies, thats why we're all here (well generally ;) anyway!). they're excited about being at the gig and sometimes that manifests itself in different ways, i think whatever gig you go to that is in a club environment (or an all standing venue) there's gonna be a level of audience noise, thats why bands have amps surely?

The fact that julians set was somewhat less in your face and made it easy for people to talk and have conversations is surely not a bad thing? At most gigs i've been to or played people talk during them, amongst groups of friends or amongst each other to make new friends, to me that adds to the ambience and i've met many friends at gigs this way. Maybe cos julians set wasnt so in your face this was more noticable at oxford, i dunno but either way i think it would be wrong (tho julian would probably disagree! :)) that we should all sit in reverent silence listening to his "huge" canon of work!

I'm sure that julian himself gets carried away when he sees bands he loves? Surely......?

By the way in case you're wondering i was stood at the back at oxford and the front at stoke, right next to the guy who was shouting ... who did annoy me slightly! but hey thats all part and parcel for gigs to me, like the guy at "the night for newbury" who constantly shouted, "JULIAN............ I'M YOUR DADDY!!!!!!!!" ya just gotta live with it i guess, 'toleration not exclamation'.

an chickenshit kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
Kosmischeboy
664 posts

Sep 27, 2004, 21:06
<tap>

<tap>

SHHHHHHHHH!

a :) kosmischeboy
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Sep 27, 2004, 21:31
What I did notice was that the three or four rows from the front were dancing and that included our section of the front of the crowd. However four rows back the majority of people were standing staring and sipping their pints, that is not what I go to a gig for, I go to dance and expend a bit of energy - that is of course my way of having fun, and not everyones cup of tea!

I'm not sure I can really take responsibility for how other people might percieve how I'm acting, I try to be respectful of others, and if I get asked to shut up, or be quieter then usually I will. But if someone is scared of confrontation then really, it seems to me that is there responsibility! Get some help! I don't do that kind of very nearly co-dependent walking on eggshells *just in case someone doesn't like what i'm doing* although i do (i repeat) try to be respectful of others, which includes gig etiquette :-)
rocknicker
rocknicker
908 posts

Sep 27, 2004, 22:09
If the performance hed been more compelling, it would have grabbed *everyone's* attention.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Sep 27, 2004, 22:22
totally agree sir holy one

however

why are the people talking n not listening

the performer needs to address that if they can or have the inclination to so that the focus is redirected

it appears from the threads that there has been annoying chatter at a lot of the shows

i can only go by colchester n there was chattering all the way through the show in the background

it is getting more n more prominent at gigs

the last show that really annoyed me was arthur lee n love at norwich waterfront

a quick SHUT THE FUCK OFF OR PISS OFF OUTTA HERE soon sorted it n got a round of applause from around me

a quick SO IF U WERE SO PISSED OFF WHY DIDNT YOU SORT THE FUCKERS OUT URSELF then got everyone scowling at me

but it sorted the situation n the end half hour was delivered in peace
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 27, 2004, 23:13
I know you said you're not singling me out Holes, but as I was outed by someone as being an offender I feel I should just explain things from my prespective too. Firstly I apologise to anyone who was irritated by my chat, but standing stock still in silence straight after dancing about like crazy to Dogntank (which was loud, let's not forget) wasn't easy. I don't remember 'talking through the whole gig' anyway, I thought it was mainly between songs and occasionally going into them, but I did have my attention on the stage too. I still maintain that someone could have asked us to quieten down. I wasn't aware I was being as loud as I evidently was, but we were being smiley and exhuberant and I can't believe we looked too intimidating to be asked. I know people shouldn't really have to, but like I say, I was unaware I was being loud and annoying.

There is also the suggestion that anyone who talked wasn't listening to Cope, which isn't the case. These Cope with guitar only gigs do, I suppose, require modification of my usual gig-going behaviour. I can see that talking people would be off-putting to a performer too, so apologise to Julian if I contributed to him feeling that way at all. It certainly wasn't any kind of comment on the quality of the gig or anything. Anyway, that's pretty much it from my perspective. Maybe I'd have been pissed off too if the shoe had been on the other foot, but I would have definitely said something or moved away, not just stood getting more and more annoyed. And again, apologies to anyone I pissed off. Think I'll, er... shut up now.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 08:00
I wish some fecker had had a good conversation in front of me that I could have listened to when I took my daughter to see Eminem :-)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Sep 28, 2004, 08:27
You're a sick man, Mr Four Winds, but I know what you mean :-)
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: tech tip
Sep 28, 2004, 08:30
It's called a Coolwalker and costs 400 quid, which would have stretched an already stretched budget just that bit too hard...
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index