Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04
Jul 25, 2004, 10:24
Good morning from Toonside - hope u is all well and enjoying a great weekend.

Here is the last weeks listening

Deep Purple - Live at Inglewood - fascinationg Mk1 Purps recording courtesy of Fitter Stoke
Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason - Floyd - updated for the 80's with grotesque 80's production values and vile plinkety plink 80's synths to the fore - it lacks Waters vitriolic bile but all the usual trademarks are in place - Waters called it a "fair facsimile" - and it has some enjoyable moments for all that.
Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide - what can I say 8-)
Free - Live - cracking live LP from Sunderland and Croydon circa 1970/71 buy it buy it now!
Love - Forever Changes - top stuff indeed
Bad Company - Bad Company - good debut but fails to live up to Rogers and Kirkes previous incarnation as Free
The Darkness - Permission To Land
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Greatest Hits- cracking intro to the funk rockers
Julian Cope - Discover Odin 1st Nite Disc 1 - cracking audience recording - was it really 3 years ago?
Julian Cope -Rome Wasn't Burnt in a Day - probably make myself unpopular here - but although it has some great moments I still don't think that this hangs together that well as an entity in its own right or Rite ;-). Tracks included in the Audience with the Cope and Floored Genius 3 CD's - ie Born To Breed might have been better served with the strongest material of this album. But thats just my opinion anyway - starts running
fast!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimi Hendrix - Disc 1 of a lavishly packaged box set (the name of which escapes me) of out takes/alternate versions and live tracks from Olympia circa1967.
Mojo Magazine - The Roots of Led Zeppelin - interesting stuff - particularly Blackwater Side and Nobody's Fault But Mine - What ever happened to Rosie and the Orginals? I ask you!
Fink thats it
Over to You Lot

Joolio
To Be A Rock But Not To Roll!
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04
Jul 25, 2004, 11:03
My week of music has included
1. Velvett Fogg - S/T (1969) an extremely unsung album if you ask me

2. Gong - Flying Teapot (1972)

3. Incredible String Band - 5000 spirits (1967) and Hangman's BD (1968) twofer

4. Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida ( 1968 )

5. The Freeborne - Peak Impressions (1967) an all time favourite this one

6. WCPAEB - Volume 3 Childs Guide To Good And Evil ( 1968 )

7. Strawberry Alarm Clock - Strawberries Mean Love comp

8. The Seeds - Future (1967)

9. John Renbourn - The Lady And The Unicorn (1970)

10. Amboy Dukes - Journey To The Center Of The Mind ( 1968 )

11. Electric Psychedelic Sitar Headswirlers vols 3, 5, 7, 8 and 9 (groovy) just bought up 1, 2, 4 and 6 so will be in sitar heaven by end of week lol.

also picked up Psych Out and The Trip on separate DVD's which have been fun
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 14:33
LAURIE ANDERSON - "The Ugly One With The Jewels & Other Stories":
Live album featuring strange and unsettling tales with great incidental sound / music.

BOREDOMS - "Pop Tatari":
Great album from these prolific Japanese folks.

PHILIP JECK - "Host":
Another great seance from the haunted dansettes.

SO - "so" :
Markus Popp & Eriko Toyoda come up with a fantasic organical/digital hybrid.
Toyoda's voice & guitar are subjected to Popp's sculpting with software and whatever else he does to achieve the effects he gets, mesmerising!

PT BHAJAN SOPORI - "Santoor Sublime":
I bought this just because I love the sound of the Santoor. Don't know anything about the Santoor (or Tabla) player, it's just all generated with traditional indian acoustic instruments and has more mood and intensity than most of the 'electronica' albums I have!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 16:33
Where'd you find Psych-Out on DVD (not the 2fer version)?

Quite a trippy week you've been having~!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 16:42
ELP "Pictures at an Exhibition" (which I've decided isn't that bad at all) & the notorious "Love Beach" (which I've decided is much better than it's reputation! Might even review it . . . currently under intense analysis & scrutiny. No, I'm not a masochist.)

Also Emerson's 1st group, The Nice: "Ars Longa Vita Brevis" and "Nice" -- ELP seems like a natural development from this group. Strip it down to a trio, lay off the echo, find a better drummer . . . . O what hath Sgt Peper wrought?

Peter Hammill "Fool's Mate" -- the only solo album of his I've heard -- quite good! Sounds a lot like VDGG (surprise!)

Magma "Live" -- probably the best intro to the zeuhl school. Kozmik.

Harmonia "Musik von" & "Deluxe" -- good stuff, I really need to check out more Cluster. Kind of intrigued by "Cluster '71" . . .

Yeesh! Nothing but prog-geekery this week . . .
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 16:55
Oh aye
I meant to find the thread we had going the other day and mention this.
I got em from Amazon.co.uk a buy one get the other discounted deal. 14 quid the pair. They got a rerelease separately in the UK in April which completely passed me by. I'm assuming they are uncut too but can't be certain.
Yeah a psychedelic week as ever!
BD
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 18:38
Hello all

Had my annual trip to Canterbury for the Kent Beer Festival this week - the most fun you can have in a cowshed - and of course this entailed much appropriate listening, e.g: Caravan 'Caravan' and 'In The Land Of Grey & Pink', Hatfields 'Hatfield and the North' and 'The Rotters Club', Egg's 'The Civil Surface', Matching Mole's 'Matching Mole' and 'Little Red Record' and of course 'Rock Bottom' by Robert Wyatt - all absolute gems. But I also found time for Love's 'The Best Of Love', Can's 'Soundtracks', Barclay James Harvest's 'Baby James Harvest' and 'Everyone Is Everybody Else', Cat Stevens' 'New Masters' and Keane's Hopes & Fears'. Lot's of fun all round really.

Isn't summer lush.

Enjoy

Dave
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 18:41
Gil Scott Heron - Moving Target (Arista)
Prof Eno - Ambient 3 - day of radiance (EG)
Pharell featuring Jay-Z - Frontin' (download)
Destiny's Child - Survivor (Columbia)
Throbbing Gristle - Live SO36 Berlin (Mute)
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 19:22
Mott the Hoople - selection of bootlegs I rec'd this week - bugger me! they could sure rock!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 25, 2004, 22:16
The only thing I want to comment on is a compilation of early stuff by Disco Inferno called In Debt which probably isn't in print anymore. I never liked their later stuff when they discovered sampling tech -- didn't make up for rather weak songs IMO. But their first single had their best work w/ that Stooges/Joy Division beat of "Entertainment" and the somber b-side "Arc In Round" that could've been straight from the Cure's Faith album. The rest of the CD is more straight-ahead doom-pop with quite a few good moments.

And Burning Hell by the Brainbombs, one of the most disturbing rock bands that ever existed...
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index