Re: Fruupp 3/10
Jul 27, 2004, 23:50
...and that's a generous 3!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

oh Sonja....
Jul 28, 2004, 01:04
Curved Air's "Back Street Luv" single from 1971 is a classic!!
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04
Jul 28, 2004, 13:05
TIM BOOTH – down to the sea (single)

THE CUCUMBERS – All Things To You

HAWKWIND – Silver Machine (to think this was a hit. Doubt it would trouble the charts now – sadly!)

HOX – It-ness (Graham Lewis side project from a few yrs back. One of my fave Wire solo albums)

MORRISSEY – You Are The Quarry (esp the singles – I reckon Irish Blood is almost Brechtian, whilst First of The Gang is quite possibly the poppiest thing he’s ever done – in a Leader of the Pack morbid kind of way! And I Have Forgiven Jesus might just be his best vocal performance since I Know It’s Over)

SHAPESHIFTERS – lola’s theme (it’s number one, pop pickers!!)

23 SKIDOO – s/t (OK it's not Seven Songs - I *loved* that album. This album came out in 2000, and bizarrely I recall reading an interview with 23 Skidoo around that time, saying they'd never split up (a bit like Wire in the 80's IIRC). It must have been YEARS since their last album! As for 23 Skidoo, I only picked it up a month or so ago, so it's early days, but on initial plays I thought it a bit of a mixed bag. I knew a couple of tracks before I got it - the excellent opening track Freeze Frame was on a free cd and Dawning was a single that I liked a lot. There's some other good stuff - I like Dirty Lo, Meltdown has a nice Transglobal Underground feel to it and Atmosfear has a great bassline, though admittedly it's not in the class of Coup (but then what is?). But there's also times when sound like they want to be Massive Attack rather than 23 Skidoo, and others when it gets too close to the dreaded four letter word that is jazz for my liking. But then I don't think Dawning exactly blew me away at first and now I love it's lazy, lazy feel so I'll stick with it. And yeah, I *know* that one's pretty jazzy itself, but in a good way ; ) Still, I've played it a few times the last few days, and have to say that it's sounding better on each listen.)

BRIAN WILSON – Gettin’ In Over My Head (OK it’s not Pet Sounds, and Eric Clapton’s on it, but it has it’s good points, too!)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: oestrogen
Jul 28, 2004, 15:00
Rubber Legs is excellent. The Stooges album that never was. It gets to the point of being as scary as the Brainbombs at times. (Especially "Cock In My Pocket"...)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Skidoo
Jul 28, 2004, 21:20
I haven't heard their 'reformed' stuff much- had 'seven songs' at time of release and the 12inchers and then forgot about 'em!
Just picked up the CD of 'Seven Songs' yesterday for £6! (kingbee records, chorlton).
Somwhere, just somwhere, I have their first single "Ethics / Another Baby's Face" which is a sort of 'psyche-cum-acr funk' style thing ..... great bunch!

Is it >really< true that TG mafioso -Gen & Sleazy- produced 'Seven Songs' ??

I saw them at Futurama, Bingley Hall Stafford in 1981- they (with the Gang of Four) made the event -imho
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

oh dear.....
Jul 28, 2004, 21:30
....in a wine fuelled state, I feel a review coming on....maybe :-I
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: and.............
Jul 29, 2004, 13:22
Don't forget the equally essential "Rhinos, Winos & Lunatics"...
keith a
9574 posts

Re: and.............
Jul 29, 2004, 17:04
I used to love that album!!

Dunno if you know, but the single version of Taking the Easy Way Out Again was different. Had California Silks & Satins on b-side.
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Skidoo
Jul 29, 2004, 18:01
> Somwhere, just somwhere, I have their first
> single "Ethics / Another Baby's Face" which is a > sort of 'psyche-cum-acr funk' style thing .....

Not heard that one. will have to dig out The Cull is Coming sometime. That was a laugh a minute ; )
harley1
1 posts

Re: In DEbt
Feb 29, 2020, 12:13
If anyone wants to know about the money problem, debt, and loan problem, then they can know that by contacting the national debtline from http://nationaldebtlines.co.uk/.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index