Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 24/7/04
Jul 26, 2004, 01:35
I followed up Zos' John Fahey lead last week and found some interesting, eerie sounds with ambient atmospherics. Especially the Ragas called Pat 1-4.
He also does a lot of ethnological forgery blues which I have yet to get into.
His Takoma labelmate, Robbie Basho also quite inspired me. He's a lot more cosmic Eastern influenced and hypnotic. He does sing at times but watch out it's lets say, aquired taste.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

testosterone
Jul 26, 2004, 02:36
isn't this the most male series of threads?

i mean, just look at those that contribute each week. male to a man :o)

and being a man, here's mine...

Aimee Mann... Lost in Space
Mannheim Steamroller... Christmas Live 1997
Brotherhood of Man... Greatest Hit
Mannfred Mann's Earth Band... Road to Babylon
Elvis Costello... Man out of time
David Bowie... The man who fell to Earth
Yeah Yeah Yeahs... Man
Acid Mothers Temple... Man on the Holy Mountain
The Fall... Edinburgh Man
Half Man Half Biscuit... Back in the DHSS
Dusty Springfield... Son of a Preacher Man
ZZ Top... Sharp Dressed Man
The Beatles... Nowhere Man
Bob Dylan... Mr Tambourine Man
Donovan... Hurdy Gurdy Man
Four Seasons... Walk Like a Man
Tammy Wynette... Stand by Your Man
Jimi Hendrix... Hoochie Coochie Man
Men at Work... Cargo
Kraftwerk... Man Machine
King Crimson... 21st Century Scitzoid Man
REM... Man on the Moon
Velvet Underground... Waiting for the Man

and...

Julian Cope... Wheelbarrow Man
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Re: testosterone
Jul 26, 2004, 04:12
That's a formidable list.
So what do you think of them? (grin)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

mo prog
Jul 26, 2004, 07:36
Yeah and some Vangelis too . . . all prog, all the time. "Heaven & Hell" and "The Dragon" -- both pretty good and don't even think about that stupid movie theme he did.
alan lake soon
349 posts

Jul 26, 2004, 11:18
Ha Ha Ha...my god...Lovebeach! Love those pants they wear on the cover that make them look so fat and dickless!

'...to be an Officer... and a Gentleman!'

I remember getting this monstrosity home from the record shop... truly it was the END. Haven't heard it in 25 years. Thanks for jogging my memory banks

als x
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Jul 26, 2004, 12:18
CD:
The Residents // Meet The Residents
Nirvana // In Utero
Enslaved // Eld
Deathprod // Morals and Dogma
Faust // Faust IV
Anathema // Pentecost III/Crestfallen

DVD:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 2
Sealab 2021 Vol. 1 (hell yeah, both of these are classic)

Mike
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

Jul 26, 2004, 16:40
Renaissance - Ashes Are Burning
The Ghost - When You're Dead for One Minute
Terry Riley - A rainbow In Curved Air
Rocket Science - Welcome Aboard The 3C10
Jake Slazenger - Das Ist Ein Groovybeat, Ja
The Church - Parallel Universe
Dr Octogan - Ecologyst
J Cope - various live boots
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: In DEbt
Jul 26, 2004, 16:44
I think there is a US company that still hasd In Debt out. I bought a copy last year from Musicstack after working out that it was cheaper to buy from this place in Italy. I then got ripped off on postage.
But as of around October/November last year there was a place in the States that had it in print.
I always liked that band cos they sounded like Meat Puppets play Joy Division or something. I saw them a few times in the late 80s, back before they started triggering samples etc. They already had custom built equipment and they were still late teens or something.
They were on CHeree the same label as Bark Psychosis and The Whipping Boy and a few others.
Stevo
Np Silberbart 4 Times Soundraising Head Tear of The Drunken Sun
(that was my first ever listen to that lp BTW)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Have you ever been to . . . Love Beach?
Jul 26, 2004, 18:13
See, I always espected Love Beach was going to be a disco album, but it's not. It's their "romance" album, which is perhaps even more ridiculous.

But in spite of that, I think they were right to try to reinvent themselves after the artistic & commercial dead-end of the Works albums. They sent the orchestra packing and Emerson unpacked the moogs he put away in 1974 -- the result is it's a much warmer sounding album than the Works sets.

And the songs are better too! "All I Need Is You" and "Canario" are better than anything they'd done since Brain Salad Surgery 5 years earlier. "Taste of My Love" is a good chuckle (and for once, it seems like they were trying to be funny deliberately.) Even the 20 minute song on side 2 is OK.
Beebon
1375 posts

Jul 26, 2004, 19:45
Well, yesterday i got back from "BugJam 04" which is a major national VW festival thingy held at Santa Pod race track (near Northampton) so there's been a fair bit of travelling being done with my girlfriend's and my sister's beatles. Was fun though, and Friday night a band called "Goldmaster Allstars" played... Reggae/ska typa stuff and rather good it was too.. plenty of skanking going on :) Saturday night i saw "Killa Kela" do a set... Human Beatbox typa stuff and it was flipping amazing!! Well recomended if ur into that typa thing.

So not loads of listening being done (headed up there on thursday) but here is what i did check out :)

Incredible String Band - S/t: Bought it on vynil for £4 last weekend... have wanted to get hold of it for a while now and glad that i did. I had a lot of these songs on mp3 in the past, but to hear the album in full has made me happy! :)

Bert Jansch - Rosemary Lane: Got this on vynil too for the same price and needless to say i like it too. Got it out the library ages back and now have me own copy :)

Sunn 0))) - White 2: Got this mid week and have only had chance to listen to it once so far but initial impressions are very good indeed and im sure it will be listened to some more yet!

Nurse With Wound - Alice The Goon: Inspired by watching the documentary on the brainwashed website... this is a great record.

Ummm, that's about all i can possibly remember!
Have a good week peoples!
:)
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index