ELP Review!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: (H) ELP RANT
Jul 09, 2004, 21:41
Three points here.

> that sleeve is not just tasteless and tacky, it's >symptomatic of the aristocratic cocaine-guzzling >mentality that, to my ears, had virtually destroyed >the notion of rock music as any kind of counter->cultural force by the mid-70s prior to the advent >of punk

Or, it's a past-it's-ell-by-date prof three piece auditioning for The Dooleys.

> I feel the case for the prosecution - why punk had >to happen - deserves at least to be >acknowledeged, even though I'm aware that many >on the forum will not necessarily agree with it.

I, for one, will.

>But, at the end of the day, I'd also prefer to listen >to music I like rather than sit round slagging that >which I don't.

On this we will have to agree to differ.

I love loads of music - too much in fact - but I have to say I got more pleasure reading and writing about ELP who I detest than I did in my post about the Wire DVD. And I *adore* Wire.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: (H) ELP RANT
Jul 09, 2004, 22:03
But at least that reviewer admitted right up front he hadn't heard it. More of a rant on what's wrong with ELP than anything to do with the record.

But I still want "Love Beach" (and "Works" too, why not?) -- won't pay more than $2 for any ELP record though (I haven't yet.)

It's just record collecting. It's not supposed to be logical!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

SETH! POPVOOJ! KEITHa!SEV!
Jul 09, 2004, 22:39
Firstly, I'd like to say that these posts you have put up have made me laugh my heart out and I'm now typing with a grin like jack nicholson as the joker !!
Secondly, all this crazed ELP chat, 'for' or 'against' OR, more accurately, a combination of both (!?)- can be put down to the 'older brother or schoolmate' syndrome at a time when we were all searching for THAT *zing* to come along and set us free from frustration!
Thirdly, it was indeed 'punk' and 'post -punk' that provided that *zing*...
In 1974/75, I felt equally as disillusioned with not being able to play guitar like Allan Holdsworth (his playing on Soft Machine's 'Bundles' album- like hot shit off a shovel bub!) AND not having Holger Czuckay's knowledge of tape machines- where I thought I'd have to try and pass exams (dope and cider came first) and study under some uber-boffin like a local Stockhausen- (hard to find in n.e.wales I can tell you!).
So after cutting my long Michael Karoli style locks off and getting my mam to take in my flares, I too abandoned my Prog Cache, though like many, the krautrock mysteriously remained.
Strangely, by the time of the early 1990s, memories of all things Prog kept chipping away at my small little mind- was it nostalgia? Did all those people involved with 'punk + post/punk' REALLY come from another planet ?

In the (e)N(e)ME(y)'s 'Blackmail Corner' articles (circa 1978) whereby they 'exposed' certain hip priests' previous infatuations like Mark Perry's letter to said music paper (circa 1972)- praising ELP as the best band on the planet- it just didn't add up ??

Although this following link to a Mark P interview, doesn't mention ELP, I think he hits the nail on the head with a few of his wonderful words.....

http://www.furious.com/perfect/alternativetv.html

All we need now is a '24 Hours of Gryphon' Box Set, complete with the entire 'Midnight Mushrumps' sessions...
zuggog
286 posts

Re: 'an insult to Giger' ??
Jul 09, 2004, 23:21
That may depend on whether or not he's read Dogs review!!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

erratum!
Jul 09, 2004, 23:28
"Aquiring The Taste" was produced by the great Tony Visconti, Rushent did "Octopus" of course....spin that coin!! :-D
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: 'an insult to Giger' ??
Jul 09, 2004, 23:59
True! ;-D
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: SETH! POPVOOJ! KEITHa!SEV!
Jul 10, 2004, 05:59
Not exactly my story -- the Emerson Lake & *Powell* album came out when I was in high school (thankfully I have not heard that one!)

In a world where Bon Jovi, Cinderella and Poison ruled that old prog rock stuff was a breath of fresh air. Love them or hate them (and/or both at the same time), those pompous dorks with their moogs were a lot more engaging than the whiny poodle hairs with makeup of a later generation.

I mean who can even remember Winger or Warrant, let alone get mad enough to criticize them? It's hardly worth the effort. But ELP will be discussed for a long time it seems!
zuggog
286 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 08:14
For some reason [probably pompassity]all this Elp chat conjures up a vision of Rick Wakeman dressed up in his King Arthur/Elvis cape. No doubt that subject has been done before
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 13:37
good interview, thanks!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 14:44
Ain't Mark P just a diamond geezer.....

;-)