Unsung Forum »
ELP Review!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Light a candle
Jul 10, 2004, 20:13
Even as a blue print for how not to go about making music and all that goes with them would make ELP relevant. People will tell you how shit they are, but these are second-hand accounts no matter what the consensus is. Some times you have to check the source itself for lessons to be learned and see for yourself first-hand.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 20:23
and i have
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 20:30
"Face it -- ELP is the most controversial band of the 1970's!!!"

Yes their is something almost uncomformist about liking ELP where as liking the Sex Pistols is conformist and pretty much the norm.

Diversity is the single most important aspect of music, whether something is good or bad is entirely subjective. ELP add a diversity to music which many punk bands (apart from the greats) fail to do.

If the Usung reviews section and forum rolls out diversity than the life of unsung will be crushed.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 20:32
Yes I know, but I would recommend everyone at least listens to ELP, even if just the once, as it an experience.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 20:35
ok 2 mins though!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 20:50
Agree completely.

ELP is "unfashionable" but they undeniably had "style." If their style revulses you, fine. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes & opinions.

Personally I think "Another Green World" is pretty boring. Not even boring enough for me to hate it or have a strong opinion on it.

But so what? I thought the whole point of a "forum" was to have a dialogue, and preferably something a bit deeper than "this rules" vs. "that's shit." Blanket-praise and blanket-criticism aren't very informative, and I think the more contradictory a record makes me feel the more interesting it is.

For example, Sly Stone's "There's A Riot Goin On" is one of my favorite records of all time. It's sheer genius. But when I listen to it, it bums me out. It puts me in a very reflective, melancholy mood.

On the other hand "Trilogy" is nowhere close to "genius" and on some level I know it's outright "bad" -- yet when I put it on (which I do pretty frequently!) it makes me feel good. I bray along with Greg Lake's lyrics, band my head to Carl's monsterous progbeats, and enjoy the sheer whiz-bangery of all the sounds Emerson produces with his electronics.

So some "good" records can make you feel bad, and "bad" records can make you feel good. I often find that those records are the most "interesting."
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 20:54
Sadist.
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 21:01
> ELP is "unfashionable" but they undeniably
> had "style."

I know some words like 'fanny' have a different meaning in the States, but I didn't know 'style' had.
keith a
9572 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 21:03
Not as much as they like to make out.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

fashion vs. style
Jul 10, 2004, 21:21
I use the "fashion vs. style" trope all the time. Credit where due: I stole it direct from Lest Bangs -- I wish I could find the exact quote (I think it was from an article about David Johannsen) but the gist of it is this:

"Style" is an expression of individualism that sets one apart from the crowd. Iggy had "style" because he was an insane motherfucker who did everything his own way.

"Fashion" is an expression of conformisim that is all about fitting in to the crowd. All those second-string UK punk bands imitating the Ramones and Dictators in 1978 were merely "fashionable." Because it had been done before, and by then "everybody was doing it."

ELP is obviously about as far from "fashionable" as a musical group could be these days. Yet they had style -- Rick Wakeman is the only artist I can think of who went to anywhere near their excesses. And he had style too (I mean a rock opera on ice? that's CRAZY!)

I'm 100% with Lester on this one -- give me a bad record with lots of "style" over "this weeks fashion" any day.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index