1008 posts

Re: Light a candle
Jul 10, 2004, 22:53
no im a masochist!
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Time Meddler
Jul 10, 2004, 23:58
I can't help but think of a very early Dr Who adventure called The Time Meddler. In which The Doctor (William Hartnell) faces another renegade Time Lord who is the time meddler. This adversairy used to try and alter time in a way he sought fit. I can't quite remeber the details but he would alter history so that say someone else would be king. This wouldn't be done out of malice but out of a geniune desire to see someone else during the mediaevil power struggles become king - as he honestly thought they would make a good king.

If I had a Tardis I would transport through time and maybe space modern sampling technolgy to ELP. It's just that if ELP were more loop based rather than lots of prog classical noodling they would have been so much better. They could of built geniunely good tunes out of the odd few seconds of good music in their 20 minute suites.

But would this advanced technology be to great for Keith and the po-faced boys. Would they be so well equiped that they would rule the world? Would Greg have so much power that he would fill out his trousers even more?

Maybe ELP didn't need advanced technology from 30 years in the future. Maybe they needed that liitle French something or other or even a Mojo.

Maybe if Greg, Keith and Carl truly had their Mojo working they would have have been the greatest band of all time. But they are not, but maybe they are due something for being one of the greatest musical f*ck ups of all time.

On another Dr Who note, in Gensis of The Daleks, The Doctor (Tom Baker) is given an oppourtunity by the Time Lord high council to wipe out The Daleks from the history of the universe, by going back to their very creation. But Tom (the dude that he is) bottles it at the last minute as he see's that out of the evil of the daleks will come a geat good. Tom was so wise. maybe out of the evil of ELP the good of punk came.

Also talking of altering the history of events. Wasn't Hendrix supposed to be planning to team up with ELP before his demise. So Jimmy thought ELP were the only people good enough to back him. Maybe I could go back in time and prevent Jimmy from choking on his vomit and HELP would have been formed. Would Hendrix's infleunce have made HELP one of the truly great band's of all time? or had he already lost it on drugs and his judgement was impaired when he agreed to work with those three.

MB

(Terminal Geek, more of a Dr Who fan than an ELP fan)
keith a
9570 posts

Re: fashion vs. style
Jul 11, 2004, 00:06
I'm with you all the way with the style over fashion concept. But ELP...style...

I couldn't let that one go unchallenged, Dog ; )
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: fashion vs. style
Jul 11, 2004, 03:21
Who else has ever tried to do the things that ELP tried to do?

Who are they "similar to"?

Beside Rick Wakeman, I can't think of anybody else.

Saying that "ELP had style" is not a positve or negative comment, it's merely noting the fact that they were DIFFERENT.

They tried to lead rocknroll in their direction, but no one followed, so their limb of the musical tree died without bearing any lasting fruit. So now they are terminally "unfashionable."

But fuck that, I hate "fashionable" music anyway. Give me a no-class overdose of gauche "STYLE" any day.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: ELP sampledelia-Yeah!
Jul 11, 2004, 12:26
Bang Bang Bang On!

Earlier this year when I did a gig as part of Triclops (a sort of car-boot sale electronics trio), I sampled the very end of Karn Evil 9- the mad stereo panning bit which I put through a ring modulator- and it sounded great! Plus, I don't recall being thrown out of the venue by the more 'hip members' of the audience - (COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOU'RE PROG ENOUGH!!) - not that you could tell what the sound source was anyway.

8-]
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: My new quest is to find Love Beach!
Jul 11, 2004, 14:22
L-O-L!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: (H) ELP RANT
Jul 11, 2004, 14:35
Well there's Vini Reilly and Keith Levene, both classically trained musicians who don't outright suck like alot of prog-rockers do... (I wish I could play like Vini but there's NO WAY I could sadly!)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Classical pop folk
Jul 11, 2004, 14:39
On yet another level- Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon had 'Classical Training' apparently.....
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: SETH! POPVOOJ! KEITHa!SEV!
Jul 11, 2004, 14:42
"OOOO my cherry pie..."
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Time Meddler
Jul 11, 2004, 14:49
Dr. Who used to be on public TV in the states. Used to watch it actually although I don't know if PBS still airs it.

Speaking of Emerson Lake and Powell I remember their only album had cover art that looked like the 70s PBS logo(!)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index