ELP Review!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Snip
Jul 09, 2004, 02:36
Now THAT would be an interesting Fall cover...

...I can't get in out of my head now... }8-I
keith a
9570 posts

Re: Not forgetting.....
Jul 09, 2004, 10:39
Just about the only prog rock band of that ilk I like now is Gentle Giant!!

Still like them, though admittedly it's easy to say that when you don't actually listen to them ; )
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 09, 2004, 11:10
Good point! But I must say that the only albums I bought on CD of theirs (I once ceremoniously threw a load of prog vinyl stuff into chester canal in 1977), is the "Aquiring The Taste" and "Octopus" albums - quite nice when in the mood!

>8-]
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: advent of panurge
Jul 09, 2004, 12:34
octopus rocks i think. i seem to remember think of me with kindness as a highpoint, weird prog love song with unnescessarily spazzy middle eight and a trumpet solo. and that one knots - what's that all about? funny buggers
keith a
9570 posts

Jul 09, 2004, 12:39
Interview was the first GG LP i bought. It was mental, especially Design. Octopus was another fave. Bizarrely I liked their more, gulp, medieval moments!
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Jul 09, 2004, 12:47
it's a slippery slope from there to the amazing blondel. beware...
keith a
9570 posts

Jul 09, 2004, 12:49
I wished I'd seen that canal business!

I continued buying old fart stuff for some time - think I bought Freehand the same day as I got Metal Box!!

I ditched some stuff in the late 80's after a gig we'd played in front of a smelly audience, and to piss them off I took the piss out of Deep Purple and - without telling the rest of the band - suddenly inserted the Smoke on the Water riff into our lengthy Joy Division like dirge entitled, erm, the Illness! Good times ; )

Although there were a few people into us (folks in REM t-shirts!) I have to say that the overall hostility from the audience was exhilerating!!

Anyway, it seemed like a good time to get rid of some old stuff and my Purple stuff was amongst the stuff that went. And whilst it'd probably be fun to hear DP In Rock again, I can't say I exactly miss Stormbringer!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

my first giant (!)
Jul 09, 2004, 12:52
I got into them when I won a competition in the Sounds music paper and the prize was GG's latest album "Power and the Glory"- Good album!
On the "Aquiring The Taste" album - the 'synth programming' is credited to Chris Thomas and the album was produced by Martin Rushent ("Hard Times!").
If anyone out there likes that single "Kites" (like I do) from 1968 by Simon Dupree &The Big Sound - you can hear Derek Shulman's dulcit tones, although not as 'big' as they later became....great mellotron on 'Kites'.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

confession time....
Jul 09, 2004, 12:55
I once owned a Gryphon album!

I can't remember if it was "Midnight Mushrumps" or "Red Queen To Gryphon Three" ....or both!

:-I
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: ELP Review!
Jul 09, 2004, 14:08
my nation underground by julian cope?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index