Re-Opening Schools

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Re-Opening Schools
Aug 15, 2020, 10:03
I get that there is scientific evidence that younger children are far less at risk from developing any life-threatening symptoms from exposure to Covid19. I sort-of assume that this means they are more likely to contract it asymptomatically.

Is there evidence suggesting that young children are less likely to pass on the infection to others if they bring it home from school with them or, that if they do, it would be in a form potentially less harmful than if transmitted between adults? Is there some information that I'm missing here?
Amil04
447 posts

Re: Re-Opening Schools
Aug 20, 2020, 22:00
With much respect, yes

https://youtu.be/st9ODw26mIE
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 21, 2020, 06:43
Eh? What do you mean? That masks aren't needed? Is it not just a teeny bit possible that Gary was mentally deranged?
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2020, 20:54
Aug 21, 2020, 20:50
I think he was meaning when people are in the middle of nowhere by themselves or driving in their cars alone. I’ve witnessed this as I’m sure may people have. Elderly men and women sitting on a wall ‘taking a breather’ with their masks on.

I read part of a medical paper from the eighties where people performing open surgery didn’t wear masks - the infection rate halved. Their conclusion was the masks themselves were responsible.

I saw an ‘advert’ today..’let’s get testing’ and then immediately after an image of school children. Doesn’t bode well.

Phil, Bromsgrove.

https://youtu.be/7VAyTUyg9rE
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2020, 05:09
Aug 22, 2020, 05:05
Let's not beat about the bush, he didn't mean "when people are in the middle of nowhere by themselves or driving in their cars alone". That's something which rational, scientifically literate people could agree with. No, he was implying masks shouldn't be worn and the second bloke was going further and suggesting masks were a means to control us, a world-wide conspiracy.

There was a time when scientific illiteracy and conspiracy theories were confined to the far end of dirt tracks in Alabama, but t'internet has allowed them to take hold much further afield, a bit like a pandemic, ironically. Being open-minded shouldn't extend to giving credence to such dunces IMO. The health emergency is too dire and every look-at-me anti-mask conspiracist could be costing lives of older people, including me, which I find particularly irksome!
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2020, 12:01
Aug 22, 2020, 12:00
nigelswift wrote:

There was a time when scientific illiteracy and conspiracy theories were confined to the far end of dirt tracks in Alabama, but t'internet has allowed them to take hold much further afield, a bit like a pandemic, ironically. Being open-minded shouldn't extend to giving credence to such dunces IMO.

There was a time when the roots of Rock and Roll were also confined to the far end of dirt tracks in Alabama, but luckily foward-thinking mofos were able to judge the value of an idea for what it was worth, and not simply follow the dictates of "authorities" who've placed themselves in charge.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 22, 2020, 13:47
Well I don't think it's the dictates of "authorities" that convince most people masks are good things.

It's common sense informed by scientific data, isn't it, despite what the likes of Trump say?
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2020, 13:20
Aug 23, 2020, 12:42
nigelswift wrote:
Well I don't think it's the dictates of "authorities" that convince most people masks are good things.

It's common sense informed by scientific data, isn't it, despite what the likes of Trump say?

I wasn't commenting on the issue whether or not to wear masks, but rather the elitism present in your statement about the "dirt roads of Alabama." Perhaps it's not intentional, but it does suggest a disdain for the "common people" who, daring to have a different opinion than what the echo chamber of government, corporations, media, and celebrity doctors all promote, are obviously wrong and "ignorant."

But luckily the "common people" possess "common sense," and common sense tells us that while Covid is a troubling disease, it is much less severe than previous pandemics, and - as shown by the previous six months - lockdowns and mask-wearing campaigns are woefully ineffective at stopping it. Indeed, the complete failure of almost every Western government in dealing with Covid can only make one wonder if ulterior motives are at work.

One of the great things about the Enlightenment was that it wrestled authority away from the kings and popes, and placed it in hands of everyone. Rather than stemming from the arbitrary whims of elites, "truth" came to represent what was observable by all in the real world.

The popes and kings of today have once again revealed their stunning lack of vision. Perhaps it's time to listen to the people from the "dirt roads of Alabama" for a change?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 23, 2020, 13:23
I'm one of the common people and come from such stock, but common people who believe in conspiracy theories and support Trump, yes, I'm a real snob about those. As for the efficacy of masks, I have my opinion, based on what I've read, and it differs from that of those people.

Having not gone out for six months thereby proving science right, I'm not a fan of anti-maskers, nor of people who wear masks but not over their noses. Call me eccentric but there we are, I think delusions and ignorance both kill grannies and can't help resenting both.
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2020, 16:31
Aug 23, 2020, 16:13
My hairdresser said “it’s like it’s not real” “exactly” I said. I make a point of talking to people when queuing/shopping. The long queues seemed to have moved inside over the past few days. People confused as to where they should be. Sometimes you have to queue and sometimes it’s a free for all..which on pretty much every occasion I’ve been in causes friction between both customers and staff and customers. Isn’t food shopping stressful enough? Wait..What am I saying. .? It causes confusion/friction amongst people. This however does give me an excuse to comment on this to someone else..and then I’ll say “I’m only wearing this mask to please other people..every time back..”so am I.”
I can tell you, it’s refreshing to hear other people (Anna Brees channel) talk sense, common sense. ( a good proportion I should say )They’re looking for themselves using their ‘gut’ There’s a few Trump supporters there but don’t let that put you off..I’m not sold on the idea Trump’s a ‘white hat’

So..Anna Brees?? Herself?..Dunno.

..I trust most people on there not to have an agenda.

We really must be able to listen to each other. I think Neil Oliver does a grand job here..*did well not to use the ‘F’ word. No not that one the other one. (*apart from the nobody knew this was coming bit)

https://youtu.be/L_nTNyIVCrU

Could be transposed to many a situation.

I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been out much. That’s not healthy for a start.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index