Extinction Rebellion

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Jun 14, 2019, 19:16
Re: Extinction Rebellion
Jun 12, 2019, 14:48
Clare Parker writes..“As most of the CO2 is in the ocean, are the (relatively small) amounts released by burning fossil fuels not irrelevant?

PROFESSOR JOHN SHEPHERD FRS, TYNDALL CENTRE FOR CLIMATE CHANGE RESEARCH, NATIONAL OCEANOGRAPHY CENTRE, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON, writes:

The oceans contain indeed about 95% of the natural CO2 in the ocean/ atmosphere/ biosphere system, and about 90% of the man-made CO2 will also end up in the oceans eventually (i.e. in about 1,000 years’ time). The atmosphere normally contains only about 2% of the total CO2 (the rest is in the terrestrial vegetation and soils).

However, the amount released by burning fossil fuels has been sufficient to increase atmospheric concentrations by about 35%, even though about half of it has actually already been absorbed by the oceans and the terrestrial biosphere. It is CO2
left in the atmosphere that really matters, because that is where it causes the greenhouse effect, and whether or not there is also a large amount in the ocean is irrelevant.”

Does this make sense to you? Because it doesn’t to me.

“and about 90% of the man made CO2 will also end up in the oceans eventually (ie in about a thousand years)”

“However the amount released by burning fossil fuels has been sufficient to increase atmospheric concentration by about 35%, even though about half of it has actually already been absorbed by the oceans and terrestrial biosphere.”

Contradictory? Or am I being thick? Thought it took a thousand years to be taken up by the oceans?

35%..really?

Source : HH. https://www.headheritage.co.uk/uknow/features/?id=82

If you’d never heard about CO2, global warming, climate change, climate emergency/catastrophe etc. would you personally say that the weather has changed in your lifetime? Not here it hasn’t. It used to rain more in September, now it rains more in June..that’s about it.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index