55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Extinction Rebellion
Apr 28, 2019, 16:50
GLADMAN wrote:
For balance.... I'm passionate about this planet, too. But I find the self-righteous, naive hectoring of pathetic little girls like Greta Thunberg so detrimental to the cause. Who the hell does she think she is to lecture me? By what right?

Little school girls and people who can afford to take days off and block streets are irrelevent to this problem.

Crikey, didn't expect to find Toby Young on the HH forum. Extinction Rebellion was launched last October with support from many eminent professors. Sadly I'm a journeyman academic so wasn't contacted in that regard. But anyway happy to offer some balanced info and links (below) on the campaign so far. Yours, Dr Riverman (BSc MSc PhD, Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and newly appointed CCC (Climate Change Clown).

Here's a balanced overview of the questions raised by the last couple of week's events from the editor of Business Green:
https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/blog-post/3074582/rebel-alliance

And here's the CBI's response to XR, again as reported by the Business Green editor (by the way he is one the leading authorities on low carbon economies and how to get there):

" "As protests in recent days and weeks have shown, climate change is an issue of truly unprecedented proportions facing every nation on earth," James Diggle, CBI head of energy and climate change, told BusinessGreen in an emailed statement. "Put simply, the world needs to get a grip on it. It requires real solutions from the government and business - as well as changes to the way each of us lives our lives - right now."

He added that the UK had a critical role to play in driving deep decarbonisation at a global scale.

"As the country that first harnessed the power of hydrocarbons to drive the industrial revolution, the UK has a unique responsibility - and opportunity - to lead again," he said. "The first step to doing this is to be even bolder in our climate ambitions."

Like most business groups, including the new coalition of green business leaders that wrote to The Times this weekend in support of XR, the CBI has some reservations about the short terms costs for businesses caused by disruption from the XR protests. But there is also an understanding of the long term benefits that would result if public engagement with climate risks helped to drive bolder decarbonisation policies and avert escalating climate impacts for economies around the world. " Business Green
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index