55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Extinction Rebellion
Apr 28, 2019, 19:06
Amil04 wrote:

"There are many thousands of scientists who reject man-made global warming fears . . . It’s all based on computer models and predictions. We do not actually have a crystal ball, it is a mythical object . . . The fears are promoted by a powerful convergent of interests, scientists seeking grant money, media seeking headlines, universities seeking huge grants from major institutions, foundations, environmental groups, politicians wanting to make it look like they are saving future generations. And all of these people have converged on this issue.”—Dr. Patrick Moore, former Greenpeace activist, while appearing on the Fox Business Network with Stuart Varney, 2011.

The last figure I saw was 98% of scientists agree humans are causing global warming. It is not all models actually - the IPCC reports use the decades of observational data we have including tons of satellite data over the last 40+ years. I agree there are uncertainties in model predictions, as demonstrated by the fact changes are starting to happen faster than scientists have predicted using models. A worrying development in recent years for example is the influence of Arctic warming on the position of the polar jet which is causing the wild extremes of major cold snaps and snowfall e.g. the beast from the east last year, USA this year, plus anomalously warm spells e.g. this year Greenland ice sheet has started melting early April for the first time on record; Alaskan ice is melting early etc. It's looking like Arctic warming is causing this but it hasn't yet been verified. At the end of the day these computer models are powerful tools that allow us to predict what will happen in terms of increased rainfall, higher sea levels, droughts etc. It would be crazy not to plan ahead with all this information.

As for vested interests, funding etc - it is well known billionaires such as the Koch brothers fund 'think tanks' promoting climate change denial etc.

With regards the Business Green article the balance is precisely because it is a capitalist view on XR i.e. not XR, nor left-wing press etc. And he presents views he doesn't agree with - that's balance in my book.

Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index