You are being Conned

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: You are being Conned
Nov 24, 2009, 19:15
Much of the climate change in the geological past was caused by continental drift. The UK (or the land mass where the UK was once situated) was once located far closer to the equator. Through geological time the land mass drifted northwards, nence the geological record goes from an equatorial tropical environment during the Carboniferous period, through desert sediments during the Permian period and up to the temperate climate of the present day.

It's true that climate change has occurred in the past but we have no way of proving absolutely why that should have been. It's possible that it was due to raised levels of atmospheric CO2 after a meteoric impact. Such impacts are well documented in the geological record and caused all sorts of environmental catastrophes, e.g. the extinction of the dinosaurs, a highly successful group of animals that had existed previously for many millions of years; it could be argued they were more successful than humans, they certainly lasted for far longer than we are likely to last.

Yes there may be other factors influencing climate change, but CO2 is undoubtedly a factor. I don't say that because it's fashionable to do so, I say it because I have studied science at postgraduate level and it is a scientific fact that, to my, mind, is utterly beyond doubt.

And surely there are other really good reasons for reducing our CO2 emissions. The main culprits, generating electricity from fossil fuels, flying needlessly all over the planet, driving when we really could walk, are things that we should address for their own sake as well as for our 'carbon footprint'. We should DEFINITELY look to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels for political and ethical reasons as well as any concerns regarding climate change. Oil comes from politically unstable parts of the world and is, as far as I can see, responsible for more bloody and brutal conflicts than religion, and that's saying something!

I really don't see why people are so keen to debunk the CO2/climate change argument - yes there are a few people who will argue til they're blue in the face that the two have nothing to do with each other, but I believe that they are in the minority. For fuck's sake, why are we even ARGUING about this? We should all be looking to reduce our impact on the planet's resources come what may.

(Climbs off soapbox muttering 'bring it on!' under her breath...)

U-Know! Forum Index