65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Alcohol
Feb 22, 2008, 22:48
shanshee_allures wrote:
We cannot ever penalise the majority cause of a rotten minority.

Actually this is something that we as a society do all the time. If you're a young male driver, you pay more because a bigger minority drive like arseholes than other sections of society. Everybody is watched by CCTV, because a small number of people are anti-social. We certainly us the excuse that drugs wreck lives as an excuse for not legalising them.

shanshee_allures wrote:
I would however totally clamp down on anyone whose crime involved alcohol consumption, be it driving, fighting whatever. Because of the misery their behaviour causes, and if the are repeat offenders (often the case) I would like to see the introduction of either jail or the option of voluntary 'antabuse' injections, I'm serious there. Something radical has to be done, because there are hoards out there for who alcohol is no good.

I don't entirely agree with you there, Shanshee. Drink driving has reduced over the last few decades. But this is not really because of the threat of jail. It's because of a cultural change. What was once acceptable is now unacceptable. How that change came about is worth a close look. Our prisons are already stuffed to overflowing with people. If you're caught drink driving twice, then you'll be lucky to escape a jail sentence. Doing something "radical" really must mean something other than stiffer penalties and draconian clampdowns.

Just my humble...
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index