65 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 22, 2008, 08:17
Re: Alcohol
Feb 21, 2008, 20:01
What I'd like (and will never get) is someone with some influence to come out and say the bleeding obvious - i.e. that life in a highly geared, media drenched consumerist society tends to make a lot of us bloody miserable a lot of the time. Lets deal with that idea and not all get into a puritan tail-spin about only the most visible of consequences.

Never mind booze and fags (crap drugs both for the most part) what about the prescription drugs, the pain killer addictions and the fact that
white collar London (and not just the media mob) has a major and largely unreported coke problem? You only have to look at how a lot of people drive to see that they are getting an extra "edge" from somewhere. There's not much mind expansion going on, little in the way of inner space travel just a lot of ramping up and damping down of the old angst and anger levels. Reminds me of Waterloo Station in the 70s when they used to play marching music over the "Tannoy" in the morning and soothing light classical in the evening. Back to your hutches folks!

It's beyond social class, gender and age and the young are the least of our worries. Getting off your head with minimal consequences (at least minimal for the vast majority of revellers) is a privilege of youth so to demonise that when it is merely the most visible symptom of a nationwide issue seems bizarre espcially when self-medicating behind closed doors is something of a national pastime.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index