Alcohol

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2008, 15:42
Alcohol
Feb 21, 2008, 15:40
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3409295.ece?openComment=true

Now, I don't for one second dispute any of the facts and figures passed on from medical profs, or police re arrests etc, but why the hell are they insisiting that supermarkets are the culprits for 'binge' or 'underage' drinking?
I'm not defending them, but it's just not the case.

Supermarket bought alcohol tends to be more expensive than the more liberal deals offered by small local shops (I do know this, I shop in big stores and notice it first hand), which tend also usually to be the main source for underage drinkers to buy their juice (christ, Asda has a proof of age policyif you appear to be UNDER 25!).

And they show us a can of 22p lager as proof! Who the fuck buys that?
No 'yob' I've ever seen for sure.

Yes discuss alcohol, but do it properly and honestly please.

I mean, do we hike the price of choloclate up just coz some get rotund and burdensome to the NHS on it?

Do we increase the price of alcohol to the extent only the better off can afford it!

Do we? Eh? !!

x
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Alcohol
Feb 21, 2008, 15:50
Ah it's much easier to interview tescos "ah no we can't do anything - can't interfere with the market" (see R4 this morning) than actually wonder why young people or anyone for that matter might want to drink themselves into oblivion. Legislation, that's what we need, more legislation, to demonise the wasters in our otherwise perfect society. Or something like that. Sorry haven't got an answer but I do agree.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 15:58
Love the Tesco take on it "we couldn't possibly collude to artificially raise prices, but if the government want to do it for us we'll be only too happy to help"
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 16:47
shanshee_allures wrote:

And they show us a can of 22p lager as proof! Who the fuck buys that?
No 'yob' I've ever seen for sure.

Absolutely - stella seems to be the fave on bus shelters round my way. It was cooking sherry when I were a lad.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 16:47
Tesco said something about the legislation that exists preventing supermarkets from fixing prices between them (remember loads o them got into bother for it last year), but yes, the 'so long as the govt sanctions it' is a bit confusing.
What on earth, then, is their stance here then? Do they even have one? Why comment in the first place?

x
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 16:48
Cooking sherry? Bit posh aint it?
;-)

x
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 16:50
It was me nan's guilty pleasure - she WAS posh actually.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 16:51
And you go and take it to the bus stops. Hehe.

x
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 18:18
He didn't. He just stood at the bus stop and his nan sent the chauffeur out with a bottle for him.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 18:48
Lucky sod.

x
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index