Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 135 36 37 38 39 40 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece
Apr 02, 2013, 23:32
I've already said who i think it is in this very thread, although letters are missing it's easy to see who i mean, Pete never entered my mind as geoff knows him and gets on with him [geoff and harryshill less so], he's also spoke to me privately on the portal and i liked him a lot.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 02, 2013, 23:33
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:
I know you use one Geoff, i was only [half] joking, not really good for a true bimble though eh?

Would have been very helpful if the people who built Trevethy had one, and logged all the stone co-ordinates. ;)

I do prefer a "manual" bimble, but taking an accurate grid ref on each site visit is a good thing imo. I have had feedback from pecsaetan saying people appreciated them, people who may well not have visited without having it.
A good example is the old womans stone on Bamford Moor, a bugger to find for most.

when hill walking I often dump my rucksack on a fence line or prominent rock if there is one and come back later , handy if it's misty or cloud comes down just have to find the line and keep to it but with the gps I can leave it anywhere as long as you remember to take the ref and the gps with you .

Now that's a good use, a cross on a map isn't quite as accurate that's for sure.

God knows how many hours I've spent searching for dumped rucksacks , if the hill is relatively featureless and it's misty it can be a while .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:36
and cursing the person who took it no doubt, until you realize it's paranoia and remember your in the middle of nowhere with no one around for miles, ever lost one?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:37
bladup wrote:
it's got very good plans, and for me it was invaluable, in fact i used to stroke it i liked it that much, it's not big but great for the more ruined ringcairns, never took it with me though, i just logged it in my head before a trip and you can do that from the library anyway, it's probably quite hard to come by nowadays, and you know what that means...

I have very few books Paul, as unlike most i'm not that bothered about in depth info on sites, who's dug there, what was found etc, it's more about being out there, the feeling of the place and the landscape etc. Jamie, Stu and a few others would annihilate in a quiz. :)
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:39
bladup wrote:
I've already said who i think it is in this very thread, although letters are missing it's easy to see who i mean, Pete never entered my mind as geoff knows him and gets on with him [geoff and harryshill less so], he's also spoke to me privately on the portal and i liked him a lot.

I couldn't care who it is, be nice if it wasn't someones second account though, this place needs more people.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:42
bladup wrote:
and cursing the person who took it no doubt, until you realize it's paranoia and remember your in the middle of nowhere with no one around for miles, ever lost one?

Never . That's it , nobody would take it as they would only have to carry it as they would have their own to carry too ..never done it where there are likely to lots of punters either though . Some hills can be "busy".
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:45
same as, but as you know that one is mainly plans with very brief descriptions on the places, i do only like books with pretty pictures and that one [and barnatts corpus of stone circles] is the only books i've ever actually used.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:47
"someones second account though" do you know this Geoff?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:52
bladup wrote:
"someones second account though" do you know this Geoff?

No, not at all, though a couple of people have suggested it.
I'd rather not speculate as if they do have a genuine reason not to reveal them self then i don't wanna pry. Be nice if they came with a positive angle now and then though wunnit. :)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:57
Yeah but that's what's so clear, they use that name for the negative stuff, so been positive will never happen because they use there real name for that, i never knew who it was but now i'm convinced, all the spelling mistakes are on purpose as well IMO, this place is very strange isn't it?
Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 135 36 37 38 39 40 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index