Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 135 36 37 38 39 40 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 02, 2013, 23:18
Not me, the poor broken madwomans a close friend [no i don't mean the missus] and i even know where Bamford moor north is, now that's showing off don't you think? do you have Barnatts green peak district softcover book "The stone circles, ringcairns and henges of the peak district"? if not get it, anyway i've been to everything in that.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:19
bladup wrote:
Great stuff and a great point about been good for recording a new site, i was only joking, it just makes me laugh if i see someone gps in one hand, map in the other and they hardly look around at all, they spend most of their time out looking at those and not the surroundings, put them back in a landscape they've been before and they wouldn't even know they'd been there before half the time.

I have said it loads of time here , get out and wander , don't take a map or a compass . You don't die from getting lost .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:19
tiompan wrote:
Now you can appreciate just how great the can discovery was . Still use the wshing machine for washing hair and making sauces though .

I know someone who mistook their washing machine for the dish washer... enough said and g’night...
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:21
tiompan wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
bladup wrote:
I know you use one Geoff, i was only [half] joking, not really good for a true bimble though eh?

Would have been very helpful if the people who built Trevethy had one, and logged all the stone co-ordinates. ;)

I do prefer a "manual" bimble, but taking an accurate grid ref on each site visit is a good thing imo. I have had feedback from pecsaetan saying people appreciated them, people who may well not have visited without having it.
A good example is the old womans stone on Bamford Moor, a bugger to find for most.

when hill walking I often dump my rucksack on a fence line or prominent rock if there is one and come back later , handy if it's misty or cloud comes down just have to find the line and keep to it but with the gps I can leave it anywhere as long as you remember to take the ref and the gps with you .

Now that's a good use, a cross on a map isn't quite as accurate that's for sure.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:21
bladup wrote:
Not me, the poor broken madwomans a close friend [no i don't mean the missus] and i even know where Bamford moor north is, now that's showing off don't you think? do you have Barnatts green peak district softcover book "The stone circles, ringcairns and henges of the peak district"? if not get it, anyway i've been to everything in that.

No i don't have it, have read it in the library though.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:22
No just a bit scared :>~
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:23
Ha ha, Messy, night.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:25
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
Great stuff and a great point about been good for recording a new site, i was only joking, it just makes me laugh if i see someone gps in one hand, map in the other and they hardly look around at all, they spend most of their time out looking at those and not the surroundings, put them back in a landscape they've been before and they wouldn't even know they'd been there before half the time.

I have said it loads of time here , get out and wander , don't take a map or a compass . You don't die from getting lost .

My gps and mapping are on the phone, so is my camera. Rare i carry map and compass these days as the phone is so useful. It mainly stays in the pocket though.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:28
harestonesdown wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:

My gps and mapping are on the phone, so is my camera. Rare i carry map and compass these days as the phone is so useful. It mainly stays in the pocket though.

I also use the gps as a watch/clock if necessary the one on the camera is gubbed .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 23:29
it's got very good plans, and for me it was invaluable, in fact i used to stroke it i liked it that much, it's not big but great for the more ruined ringcairns, never took it with me though, i just logged it in my head before a trip and you can do that from the library anyway, it's probably quite hard to come by nowadays, and you know what that means...
Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 135 36 37 38 39 40 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index