Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 11, 2010, 20:04
Resonox wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, but in ley line mythology this also explains the spots that midge swarms meet up.

Underground water source surely creating a moist soil...as midges need dampness for egglaying....this damp spot would also give a more verdant greenery which might explain the ponies preferring the grass there.
Not a proven suggestion...just an idea.

As I pointed out though this rather lage circular area was just barren flattened soil. It had with no greenery on it at all. And it certainy wasn't damp. It was like 'dead' ground about 75ft in diameter. I stood on it and felt no vibes but it was very firm with no hoofmarks.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2010, 17:06
Nov 12, 2010, 16:53
Jane wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:
Experience proves nothing.

Absolutely right Jane IMO.
Experience may "prove" something to the experiencer but that doesn't prove it to anyone else. That's why we invented scientific method.

Beautifully put, Mr Swift.

Let's hope that one day it may also attempt to get brave and adventurous enough again to investigate beyond it's current circular reasoning which supports a comfortable belief system.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 17:39
The Sea Cat wrote:
Let's hope that one day it may also attempt to get brave and adventurous enough again to investigate beyond it's current circular reasoning which supports a comfortable belief system.

There's nothing comfortable about science. It isn't allowed to believe anything.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 17:54
The Sea Cat wrote:
Jane wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:

Experience may "prove" something to the experiencer but that doesn't prove it to anyone else. That's why we invented scientific method.

I'm with you on this SC as it would be a big breakthrough if the experiences you feel (and see?) could be proven beyond doubt. I've belonged to a couple of groups in the past that studied the paranormal amongst other things (if that is indeed what we are talking about here) and met people who made the most amazing claims...and never believed a word of them...until the most remarkable thing happened one evening when a new member unknown to any of us arrived on the scene. I've never dismissed anything out of hand since and that is why I am totally open about such things without getting personally involved, because I simply don't understand any of it. And no, I won't say what it is that happened as it would be pointless!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 18:11
nigelswift wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

There's nothing comfortable about science. It isn't allowed to believe anything.

Therein lies it's lack of future parramata expansion, sadly. Too many jobs and thought systems at stake.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2010, 18:38
Nov 12, 2010, 18:35
Sanctuary wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Jane wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:

I'm with you on this SC as it would be a big breakthrough if the experiences you feel (and see?) could be proven beyond doubt. I've belonged to a couple of groups in the past that studied the paranormal amongst other things (if that is indeed what we are talking about here) and met people who made the most amazing claims...and never believed a word of them...until the most remarkable thing happened one evening when a new member unknown to any of us arrived on the scene. I've never dismissed anything out of hand since and that is why I am totally open about such things without getting personally involved, because I simply don't understand any of it. And no, I won't say what it is that happened as it would be pointless!

Exactly. Thanks.

:-)
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 19:42
The Sea Cat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Jane wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:

Exactly. Thanks.

Perhaps the problem isn't scientific method or scientists but simply the inability so far of scientific recording and verifiable observation methods to perceive and record paranormal phenomenon. Absence of proof is not always proof of absence after all.

The question becomes though at which point do you accept that absence of proof is sufficient to show proof of absence? Is the current lack of verifiable proof after so many years sufficient?

To someone who has never experienced the paranormal, like me, then it certainly points to proof of absence. To someone who has experienced the paranormal, it certainly points to absence of proof and I imagine a great frustration at people like me.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 22:18
If the house this was found in is on a ley line I'm a believer!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328904/Chinese-vase-sells-51-6m-lying-decades-Middlesex-home.html
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 22:20
The Sea Cat wrote:

What? What do you mean? Don't really see how it can get any more "brave and adventurous" than it already is doing - amongst other things, postulating and attempting to prove the existence of other dimensions, exploring the moment of creation itself, asking what existed before this universe, looking into the hearts of suns and exploded suns - explaining that all living things contain elements that were born in these exploding stars etc etc.

It makes all the paranormal phenomenen look dull and prosaic.

Fail to see what you are talking about. What is this comfortable belief system?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Nov 13, 2010, 08:32
juamei wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Jane wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:

Exactly. Thanks.

Perhaps the problem isn't scientific method or scientists but simply the inability so far of scientific recording and verifiable observation methods to perceive and record paranormal phenomenon. Absence of proof is not always proof of absence after all.

The question becomes though at which point do you accept that absence of proof is sufficient to show proof of absence? Is the current lack of verifiable proof after so many years sufficient?

To someone who has never experienced the paranormal, like me, then it certainly points to proof of absence. To someone who has experienced the paranormal, it certainly points to absence of proof and I imagine a great frustration at people like me.

You've raised excellent points and I agree. I don't get frustrated at people like you at all, it's genuinely refreshing to come across such a logical and reasonable attitude rather than dogmatic dismissiveness. Your first prargraph especially, encapsulates the problem perfectly.

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index