Ley Lines

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 11, 2010, 13:05
Littlestone wrote:
I'm a bit confused, are you and Moss the same person ?

Certainly not, moss makes the best fish pie on the planet (though Mustard might be able to do that as well - I wouldn't know :–)

Afraid not. As a vegetarian, my fish pie-making skills are fairly limited. I make a mean vegetable satay though ;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 14:58
Many years ago when I lived in Southampton I used to take my dogs out to Lyndhurst to give them a good run. We used to pass a spot where amongst the grass there was a quite large round area of pretty much barren soil well flattened. it wasn't in a clearing but on an open area which was a bit featureless. There was no water or shelter at this spot but every night dozens of New Forest ponies used to gather there to sleep. On meeting another dog walker there one day and striking up a conversation about it, she said she had been told that a 'force' was present at this spot and the ponies gathered there as it was a 'safe' area and along a ley line. Anyone heard of anything like this themselves?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 15:03
Nov 11, 2010, 14:58
The Sea Cat wrote:
moss wrote:
Well occasionally as someone who has a 'dragon' in the garage, perhaps Carl Sagan's explanation of his dragon in the garage could/would help ;)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm

I see. I'm delusional. Thanks for letting me know. That level of insulting condascension is why I have decided not to discuss the matter any further and refrain from contributing to this thread any more, or indeed this site.

Apologies from me too Sea Cat, my post was speaking only about my own experience and with no intention to condescend. The best character improving advice I've ever received came directly from the I Ching - though no doubt fed through my own ingrained beliefs about tolerance winning the day. Sadly, it clearly doesn't always.
I enjoy reading your posts very much - if they don't adher to the popular viewpoint then so much the better. Its a cliche I know, but whats wrong with marching to a different drumbeat. Don't go too far (next door is ok).
Best wishes
J
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 16:06
Nov 11, 2010, 16:06
tjj wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
moss wrote:
Well occasionally as someone who has a 'dragon' in the garage, perhaps Carl Sagan's explanation of his dragon in the garage could/would help ;)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm

I see. I'm delusional. Thanks for letting me know. That level of insulting condascension is why I have decided not to discuss the matter any further and refrain from contributing to this thread any more, or indeed this site.

Apologies from me too Sea Cat, my post was speaking only about my own experience and with no intention to condescend. The best character improving advice I've ever received came directly from the I Ching - though no doubt fed through my own ingrained beliefs about tolerance winning the day. Sadly, it clearly doesn't always.
I enjoy reading your posts very much - if they don't adher to the popular viewpoint then so much the better. Its a cliche I know, but whats wrong with marching to a different drumbeat. Don't go too far (next door is ok).
Best wishes
J

It's all cool tjj, and you have no need to apologise whatsoever. If you read the other connected posts all will become clear.

Om Shanti

:-)
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 16:19
Yes, but in ley line mythology this also explains the spots that midge swarms meet up.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 16:49
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, but in ley line mythology this also explains the spots that midge swarms meet up.

So there is an attraction then. I wonder (clutching at straws now) if homing pigeons use something like a ley line or 'natural' points of guidance to find their way home? Any pigeon fanciers amongst us?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 16:56
Sanctuary wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:

So there is an attraction then. I wonder (clutching at straws now) if homing pigeons use something like a ley line or 'natural' points of guidance to find their way home? Any pigeon fanciers amongst us?

Just trawled this up from Wikipedia. No ley lines but magnetic fields mentioned.

Research has been performed with the intention of discovering how pigeons, after being transported, can find their way back from distant places they have never visited before. Most researchers believe that homing ability is based on a "map and compass" model, with the compass feature allowing birds to orient and the map feature allowing birds to determine their location relative to a goal site (home loft).[10] While the compass mechanism appears to rely on the sun, the map mechanism has been highly debated.[11] Some researchers believe that the map mechanism relies on the ability of birds to detect the Earth's magnetic field. It is true that birds can detect a magnetic field, to help them find their way home. A light-mediated mechanism that involves the eyes and is lateralized has been examined somewhat, but recent developments have implicated the trigeminal nerve in magnetoception.[12][13] Research by Floriano Papi (Italy, early 1970s) and more recent work, largely by Hans Wallraff, suggests that instead pigeons orient themselves using the spatial distribution of atmospheric odors,[11] known as olfactory navigation (see the August 20, 2005 issue of Science News.). Near their home lofts, in areas they have previously visited, pigeons probably are guided by visual landmarks.

Various experiments suggest that different breeds of homing pigeons rely on different cues to different extents. Charles Walcott at Cornell was able to demonstrate that one strain of pigeons was confused by a magnetic anomaly in the Earth that had no effect on another strain of birds. Other experiments have shown that altering the perceived time of day with artificial lighting or using air conditioning to eliminate odors in the pigeons' home roost affected the pigeons' ability to return home.

Some research also indicates that homing pigeons navigate by following roads and other man-made features, making 90 degree turns and following habitual routes, much the same way that humans navigate.[14]
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 18:52
nigelswift wrote:
Jane wrote:
Experience proves nothing.

Absolutely right Jane IMO.
Experience may "prove" something to the experiencer but that doesn't prove it to anyone else. That's why we invented scientific method.

Beautifully put, Mr Swift.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 18:56
Thankyou!

And if we hadn't, you'd be a papist!
Resonox
604 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 19:15
StoneGloves wrote:

Underground water source surely creating a moist soil...as midges need dampness for egglaying....this damp spot would also give a more verdant greenery which might explain the ponies preferring the grass there.
Not a proven suggestion...just an idea.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index