Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 11, 2010, 10:33
Jane wrote:
Experience proves nothing.

Absolutely right Jane IMO.
Experience may "prove" something to the experiencer but that doesn't prove it to anyone else. That's why we invented scientific method.
Mustard
1043 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 10:54
The Sea Cat wrote:

Well my own personal experinces have not been 'filtered', and many can be corroborated as they were witnessed by completely detached third parties.
If something is unproven, it is just that, unproven, and therefore warranting further expploration before any classification can be made. The case thus remains open. To therefore dismiss it as 'mumbo jumbo' is a sweeping statement to say the least, and completely unscientific.

:-)

What experiences are we talking about specifically?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 11:24
Well occasionally as someone who has a 'dragon' in the garage, perhaps Carl Sagan's explanation of his dragon in the garage could/would help ;)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jcosta3/article_dragon.htm
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 11:34
Nov 11, 2010, 11:31
moss wrote:
Well occasionally as someone who has a 'dragon' in the garage, perhaps Carl Sagan's explanation of his dragon in the garage could/would help ;)

I see. I'm delusional. Thanks for letting me know. That level of insulting condascension is why I have decided not to discuss the matter any further and refrain from contributing to this thread any more, or indeed this site.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 11:42
Nov 11, 2010, 11:37
Hi Sea-cat it was'nt aimed at you for goodness sake, don't take umbrage so quickly - I've always believed that there is more out there that needs explanation, and as I pointed out have certain beliefs that cannot be rationalised; this is after all what the discussion is all about. Mustard is digging for the 'experience' whereas I keep my 'experiences' a deep secret ;)

edit Carl Sagan's a Demon-Haunted World is a good book to read, even though it gives an American viewpoint...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 11:42
Points of info SC, Moss is the most unlikely person on this forum to insult anyone and Sagan is one of the greatest minds of the 20th century. I don't see why a link to him should be a cause for complaint.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 11:46
The Sea Cat wrote:
moss wrote:

I see. I'm delusional. Thanks for letting me know. That level of insulting condascension is why I have decided not to discuss the matter any further and refrain from contributing to this thread any more, or indeed this site.

I'm getting sick to the back teeth of this condescending behaviour and if the Ed's don't stop it more and more people are going to leave. Don't leave SC, rise above it all. I started this thread with the best of intentions and it's a sad day when someone can't have an opinion or view without being shouted down all the time. Shameful.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 12:00
Nov 11, 2010, 11:57
Fair enough. Sorry. I'm a bit touchy this morning and not in the best of moods as I'm increasingly despairing at the state of things. I am tired of the general response that one generally gets from ardent scientific materialists when it comes to experinces/phenomena that are oustside their framework. It's like Dawkins fundamentalism. I know certain experiences that I have had would be certainly be classified as 'paranormal' for want of a better term. They also involved other parties, previously ardently sceptical. The most interesting of them happened during my childhood in Ireland. We lived in a very old property that actually had an ancient celtic burial chamber within the grounds. A range of phenomena occured involving an apparition, movement of objects, electrical and plumbing interferences that defied all professional attempts at explaination, and other so-called 'classic' activity. Also, our domestic pets were especially sensitive in a number of instances.

That's as far as I'll go, as I'm so used to the standard stock responses that often border on the patronising/insulting really, by people who were not there. One thing I do know for sure, if they had been, they would certainly consider different perpsectives.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding you and getting arsey. There's something in the air these days!

Peace.
Mustard
1043 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 12:06
The Sea Cat wrote:
moss wrote:

I certainly wasn't calling you delusional. Hope you didn't get the wrong end of the stick.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 12:13
Did you actually read the link?
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index