Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 09, 2010, 20:06
nigelswift wrote:

In the case mentioned 6 sites within 280 metres with no others in the immediate area . 100 % ?
Three points , whether in a straight line or with the central one slightly off don't convince me of intentionality whether in an alignment or based on Orion's belt .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 09, 2010, 20:25
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

In the case mentioned 6 sites within 280 metres with no others in the immediate area . 100 % ?
Three points , whether in a straight line or with the central one slightly off don't convince me of intentionality whether in an alignment or based on Orion's belt .

And presumably if you are going to claim 3,4,5 or whatever in a row, then the suggestion is that they were all built or placed in position at the same time if their purpose was to simply be a means of getting from A to B. That is clearly not the case when some sites are older/newer than others...unless other lesser markers were used initially of course i.e. timber posts or single stones.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 09, 2010, 20:41
I tend to agree in both cases but the fact I don't know why - or how I could judge slightly worse/better examples respectively - is a bit frustrating.

As for long distance leys the best evidence about those is contained on our very own TMA Technicolour Map. It shows millions of them, or doesn't.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Nov 09, 2010, 20:52
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

And presumably if you are going to claim 3,4,5 or whatever in a row, then the suggestion is that they were all built or placed in position at the same time if their purpose was to simply be a means of getting from A to B. That is clearly not the case when some sites are older/newer than others...unless other lesser markers were used initially of course i.e. timber posts or single stones.

Sorry S ,can't see how that relates to the quotes .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Nov 09, 2010, 21:00
nigelswift wrote:
I tend to agree in both cases but the fact I don't know why - or how I could judge slightly worse/better examples respectively - is a bit frustrating.

As for long distance leys the best evidence about those is contained on our very own TMA Technicolour Map. It shows millions of them, or doesn't.

Lack of evidence ? Three points isn't much to go on .

Oh yes the long distance doodah even including relatively good accuracy is full of them , and to be expected by chance .How the ley hunters in the 60s-70s missed so many good ones is amazing , maybe they they were too busy looking at churches , moats and hill forts .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 09, 2010, 22:10
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

Sorry S ,can't see how that relates to the quotes .

Sorry myself, I was generalising and tagged it on the wrong post.
Resonox
604 posts

Nov 10, 2010, 07:03
The argument pro and anti ley lines will never be resolved as long as there are a small elitist band of people who claim the exclusivity of detecting them holding sway.
But a simple question is never answered....
Why does sight alignment, a physical (and visible) proof, need a mystical invisible explanation?
Putting things in a straight(ish) line for everyone to see to be guided to(or by)as a place of worship/warning beacon/warrior's grave/battle site etc makes sense.
BTW..I'm not entirely averse to the idea of some form of energy(EM?) seeping from flaws(emptied underground streams?) in the natural bedrock...but would seepage in itself occur in straight lines as the flaws surely wouldn't be straight?
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Nov 10, 2010, 07:16
Yes, car-centricity is to be abhorred in all its forms. It doesn't take long wandering about in former prehistoric landscape to realise that monuments were lined up to each other, using logical processes that are long forgotten. That some of these alignments have remained is common sense. Implying energy flows along the lines is daft. It is a great pity that modern architecture is not sensitive, in a similar way, to its landscape. Tracing ancient alignments is the best way I know of discovering lost prehistoric monuments.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 10, 2010, 07:57
The Sea Cat wrote:
Pendulums/Dowsing Rods respond very strongly to them, that's for certain.

Hi SC. Not knocking your beliefs in the slightest as I am very flexible on this, but does modern-day scientific equipment recognise these 'forces' and detect them?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2010, 17:48
Nov 10, 2010, 17:47
I believe not, and one of the problems even with water-divining, is that I've yet to come across a vaguely scientific experiment that has proved that it works.

About the most recent one I saw was a simple 'double-blind' experiment using a couple of bottles of water hidden in lots of buckets. The diviners that tried to find them found them exactly as often as sheer chance would statistically allow anyone to find them.

I've seen skeptics (Jane, for one) find things using divining rods but I've also seen experienced dowsers totally fail. Proving what things are & how they work etc before you've proven that they exist is extremely difficult....

For example, the force that people say that they detect that indicates a 'ley-line' hasn't been proved to exist, so how can you possibly prove that ley-lines exist, let alone what they are and how they can be used or what they signify?

Or summat.

love

Moth
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index