Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?

Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megadread
1202 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2010, 22:15
Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
Jul 19, 2010, 21:14
I know it's been done before but as there are a few new posters here since last time it would be fun to go over it again, well i think so anyway. (And i'm bored)

To be honest i don't really have a theory, or have ever heard a convincing explanation.

With stone circles i can stretch to believe they were places of "worship". Longbarrows, cairns etc have an obvious function but rock art, bloody mystifies me every time i visit an example.

Anyone wanna throw their theory in the ring. ?

Btw, can we have a peaceful thread, just for a change. : )
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
Jul 19, 2010, 21:38
No, I don't have a theory or a decent hypothesis, just a general experiment. What fascinates and infuriates me is how the boundaries of Rock Art are so clearly defined and how rock art from beyond the confines is utterly ignored. It is effectively invisible. And, no, you don't want many tedious examples, one will be enough. Earthbound boulders with simple conventional Rock Art but including an ancient bead, or beads, of fused copper. (Try getting a rock art expert to look at that!)

My suggested experiment? Whenever the conversation turns in that direction replace the words 'rock art' with 'Henry Moore sculpture'. That's the best way to understand it, perhaps ...
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 21:48
Here's a snippet I read a while back in a fictional work about Troy that might (if based on fact) be of relevance. There's a bit in the book where two of the characters are talking about a method of signage used by traders in the Levant during the early bronze age, where by a system of circles and lines was used to indicate if an area had been scouted out for potential custom. It made reference to things like, a circle with a broken ring meant no hostile forces, a broken inner ring meant little trade, unbroken circles meant strong defences and good trade, whilst a line running through two unbroken circles meant the area is unscouted and unknown.

Now this is probably totally made up, but you get my drift, some kind of non-alphabetic code made in permanent marker to assist travelling trade types. Personally, I think it's pretty unlikely to explain our CnRs, but it's a nice thought provoking idea :-)

For my mind, I'm still of the opinion that one of the best explanations is one of the oldest, from Mr Tate in 1853 that the carvings represent 'a common origin, and indicate a symbolic meaning, representing some popular thought, telling of the faith and hope of the original inhabitants of Britain'.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 21:51
It's that single line in some cup and ring marks that cuts through (but doesn't actually cut into the rings) which is so intriguing. If that motif popped up in modern art it'd keep you puzzled and transfixed. Dunno, it's saying something - something that you can almost grasp... but not quite...
megadread
1202 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 21:57
Hob wrote:
........used by traders in the Levant during the early bronze age, where by a system of circles and lines was used to indicate if an area had been scouted out for potential custom. It made reference to things like, a circle with a broken ring meant no hostile forces, a broken inner ring meant little trade, unbroken circles meant strong defences and good trade, whilst a line running through two unbroken circles meant the area is unscouted and unknown.

Hmmmm, wouldn't that info be too precious to share though. ?
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 22:01
Well, only if the people seeing it knew the decryption algorithm. You could be extra tricky and reverse the meanings if you wanted to get the competition in trouble ;)

Like I say, I'm sceptical, but am quite prepared to entertain it for a moment or two, even if only just to find the flaws. That's a large part of the fun innit? It's a step above some of those ones Morris listed, like the one about adders nests...
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 22:04
You got a point there. The ones without the radial ducts (or whatever the right term is) don't have as much 'oompf'. Something to do with the contrast between the ideas of linearity and circularity?
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2010, 23:07
OT
Jul 19, 2010, 22:06
SG, you got any pics or links of iron bloomery slag? If so, and you'd care to share, it'd be appreciated.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Jul 19, 2010, 22:42
Then of course there is always regional variations to consider. Where as West Yorkshire RA is mostly composed of single cups, meandering grooves and the occasional ring (sometimes two) multiple rings are rare. I can only think of a handful of examples in WY - whereas multiple rings are much more common in Northumbria and Scotland. Then of course there are complete swerveballs such as the Ilkley Ladder, the 'pitchfork' motif and plane old oddness like the Hangingstones design. All within a few hundred yeards on the northern edge of Ilkley Moor.

I also don't see any problem with RA having multiple purposes too. rather than single definitions.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re
Jul 20, 2010, 05:37
Ermm, they didn't use iron in the Bronze Age. But as the three stones are boundary markers, they're not too difficult to find, even though the boundary was rationalised during Enclosure. I have loads of pictures but they're all slightly out of focus, which is the consequence of needing reading glasses and no diopter or macro lens.

One stone's very easy to find, on the flank of Grey Nag. Quite a walk to get to it from the road. I still have some tools out there to collect. Not ready yet. I've worked in the casting bay of an iron foundry - long time ago - and all those sparks fall as slag and have to be cleared away with a shovel. Some fall inside your glove and have to be vigorously shaken out!
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index