Tidying up offerings

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 01, 2010, 10:04
Aged adolescent ? Pretty accurate there!
:-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 10:22
The Sea Cat wrote:
Aged adolescent ? Pretty accurate there!
:-)

I must admit to preferring by far the earlier eclectic , music hall /pastoral/psychedelic Floyd to the later pompous stuff .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 10:28
Thanks, very interesting.

Your "...it's the silences that count..." caught my eye - it's a concept you find in Far Eastern paintings and calligraphy (not to mention philosophy and religion) and perhaps most vividly illustrated in the Zen rock gardens. I touched on it a bit here -
http://themodernantiquarian.com/post/53427
megadread
1202 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 10:39
Mustard wrote:
megadread wrote:

Leaving anything behind in the countryside, in the city, in the park etc etc is littering, simple.

But chucking your litter in a bin so it can be buried somewhere out of site and out of mind is better how, exactly?

But that's the accepted way of disposing of our rubbish, is it not. ?
I know it's not ideal but unfortunately it's the only means of disposal available to most of us, and it's legal, leaving your crap at ancient sites is not, it's littering, simple.

Close to Barbrook 1 stone circle is a reconstructed cairn, every time i go there i find more and more little bits of quartz and to be honest i don't mind that as they're usually hidden under the stones, it's the bits of plastic tat that wind me up, in full view of everyone who visits, when these items become weather worn and dirty do the original owners return to take them away, i think not, they get lobbed to one side in the long grass then take a thousand years to rot, i just can't see how anyone can accept that as responsible behaviour.
As for tea lights, don't get me started on them. : z
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 10:49
Littlestone wrote:
Thanks, very interesting.

Your "...it's the silences that count..." caught my eye - it's a concept you find in Far Eastern paintings and calligraphy (not to mention philosophy and religion) and perhaps most vividly illustrated in the Zen rock gardens. I touched on it a bit here -
http://themodernantiquarian.com/post/53427

You could argue comedians and actors use it "timing" or "meaningful silence " .Aly Bain the Scots fiddler suggests that at key points in playing a slow air you wait until you see the tear about to appear before playing the resolution . Not the sort of direction found on a score but it could be western Ma . It's the keystone but still requires the pillars eitherside .

Your rock garden mention is fitting , aesthetics seem more likely than astronomy imo.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 10:56
megadread wrote:

Close to Barbrook 1 stone circle is a reconstructed cairn, every time i go there i find more and more little bits of quartz and to be honest i don't mind that as they're usually hidden under the stones,

Possibly a bit anoraky, but quartz is often viewed as an important component of a site , being intentionally deposited in many cases .If the there hasn't been a record or excavation this might skew results .
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 11:06
A bit off thread, but I lose intereset after Meddle. The Syd/Rick Wright led material was by far the best in my opinion. The Wall is plain ghastly.
gjrk
370 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 13:15
gjrk wrote:
An empty space, filled with itself??

Just realised what I said there - an empty space, full of itself. Condemned by my own evidence. Sigh.
Resonox
604 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 15:20
tjj wrote:
Resonox also feels passionately about this issue (he/she reminds me of someone).
LOL
Have you seen Walter Matthau and Barbara Stanwyck's love-child then???

tjj wrote:
don't leave Revnox
I missed any reference to someone leaving(or implying they would)....is there any particular reason????
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 17:14
Resonox wrote:

tjj wrote:
don't leave Revnox
I missed any reference to someone leaving(or implying they would)....is there any particular reason????

No, absolutely not! Except, to quote the ever erudite Nigel "I'd like to back you up on both of your main points Resonox, lest you be characterised as being in an eccentric minority (which is the reverse of the truth) or somehow unreasonable (which is so patently not the case)." I guess if you were a new contributor to the forum you might be put off if you thought you were perceived to be in the eccentric minority.

PS: I am very flattered by the close scrutiny you give my posts - being in the 'eccentric minority' myself I'm not used to the attention.
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index