Tidying up offerings

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 31, 2010, 19:30
I assure you my attitude flows from my love for the sites, not disdain or anger.
:)

I need to love em when I've trekked 3 miles across a peat bog in torrential rain to find a ring cairn, or climbed a barb wire fence and trampled through stinging nettles whilst wearing shorts to get to half a stone circle.
revnox
92 posts

May 31, 2010, 19:37
I was meaning love for others who gain something from the sites other than that prescribed by you or other writers on this particular topic.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

May 31, 2010, 19:44
gjrk wrote:
Not that I suggest a TMA member should head off on a killing spree.

Although it may come to that when pottery-cow-rage sets in.

:-)
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

May 31, 2010, 20:04
Lost me sorry.
revnox
92 posts

May 31, 2010, 21:08
Not a problem, I am sure others will get the salient points.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

May 31, 2010, 21:21
Thank heavens for small mercies. So long as someone understands what the point is, its all A-OK!

On a slightly related note, I was at Rempstone yesterday and only made 3p. Either someone else is collecting the offerings tax, the Dorset locals are getting poorer or they've finally realised wedging 20p pieces in cracks in standing stones just isn't on. Not sure what it is, but I'm loving it.
megadread
1202 posts

May 31, 2010, 21:25
Creyr wrote:
A friend asked me to go with a bin bag to Long Meg to tidy up all the ritual offering detritus. He had passed by there and said it was really excessive but he didnt have anything to put the rubbish in. He said the thorn tree was particularly badly adorned. So I went up there today - just48 hours after he had been there - armed with bin bag and a knife to cut loose the stuff in the trees.

Unfortunately the farmer had beaten me to and and has tidied up the thorn tree once and for all (he has cut it down and left a wee stump).

I know Im preaching to the converted here, but please, if you do know any leaver of offerings types, tell them this cautionary tale.
The farmer is in his rights to cut the tree down and I sympathise with his point of view. Im not happy tho' as i like trees alot more than i like the kind of people who leave (well intentioned, spiritually imbued) tat tied in them.

I still managed to collect a half bin bag of strange plasticy fairy tiara type things and a pottery cow with crop circle markings on it (!). Also retreived a camping gas cylinder from a rabbit hole under a stone.Hmmmm....

Please encourage all your new ager friends to leave offerings that disappear into thin air immediately ( a song or a prayer perhaps...)

Thankyou
Rant over

Clairex

Leaving anything behind in the countryside, in the city, in the park etc etc is littering, simple.
Balloons released at football matches, Chinese lanterns, "offerings", all the same, litter for someone else to deal with, take responsibility for your own actions, leave nothing but footprints.
Not rocket science is it.
megadread
1202 posts

May 31, 2010, 21:28
nigelswift wrote:
I think we should think of ourselves as owning timeshares in monuments. On that basis, they should be left spick and span when we leave.

Fecking hell Nigel, twice in one week i agree with one of your comments. ; )
gjrk
370 posts

Edited May 31, 2010, 23:15
May 31, 2010, 22:39
thesweetcheat wrote:
gjrk wrote:
Not that I suggest a TMA member should head off on a killing spree.

Although it may come to that when pottery-cow-rage sets in.

:-)

You'll do it and subsequently, overcome by remorse, become a lifelong potter of cows - shunned by the double-decker-bus driving, central-heating set. It's a lonely road without a two-storey vehicle (or a nice hot radiator). Are you prepared for that?

It's late.

Too late now.

...My apologies ;) I was reading an old interview with Keiji Haino the other day.

If you happen to read this LS, do you know anything about the concept of 'ma'? An empty space, filled with itself??
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 01, 2010, 03:47
Could it be 'mu' Mr g?

"Mu (Japanese/Korean), and Wu (Chinese traditional: 無, simplified: 无 pinyin: wú Jyutping: mou2), is a word which has been roughly translated as "no", "none", "null", "without", and "no meaning". While used in Japanese and Chinese mainly as a prefix to indicate the absence of something (e.g., 無線/无线 musen or wúxiàn for "wireless"), in English it is better known as a response to certain koans and other questions in Zen Buddhism, intending to indicate that the question itself was meaningless."*

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(negative)
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index