This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 149 50 51 52 53 54 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Time capsule - Lord Avebury's opinion
Jul 19, 2007, 19:18
Robert Carr wrote:

Yes and he did have the bright idea of writing to a national newspaper rather than just ranting down a cul-de-sac.

You don't think the media didn't receive their fill of emails on the subject from a good few people, surely?

Maybe I should have signed mine Lord Slumpington III. It seems to be what it takes to get noticed, even this eyeliner didn't work.
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 21:02
Robert Carr wrote:
Yes and he did have the bright idea of writing to a national newspaper rather than just ranting down a cul-de-sac.

Sad that you see a forum designed for people to come together over a shared love of prehistory as a cul-de-sac, Robert Carr. personally, I see it as a place where people can express themselves knowing they will be listened to. I dare say a lot of us have written letters to papers etc. and not had our letters printed; I know I have. How many have written to "Ask the Experts" and had no hint of a reply? If Lord A has enough clout to stop this immoral attempt at immortality, then good luck to him.

I also like to think that the "common sense" side of EH keep a weather eye open on forums such as this and the Stone Pages etc. If they don't - they bloody well should do; it might be an education for them.

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 22:01
He's a true gentleman. He's opened his heart and spoken his mind, and in turn has stopped this stupid thing going ahead.

He's certainly a true gentleman, in every sense of the word.

Compared with some at English Heritage who are supposed to be the guardians of Silbury yet see nothing wrong with holding 'acoustic events' on top of it, and decide a 'time capsule' at its heart would be a jolly little wheeze. Incompetent fools yet again springs to mind but I better not say too much in case it offends Mr Carr's sensibilities even further (or his pocketbook, as I suspect from some of his comments that he might just be on English Heritage's payroll ;-)

As always, time will tell :-)
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 20, 2007, 00:10
[quote="

He's a true gentleman. He's opened his heart and spoken his mind, and in turn has stopped this stupid thing going ahead.[/quote]

Blimey I've been asleep and woken in October, either that or someone is counting chickens!

VBB
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 20, 2007, 00:19
To be fair much of what EH have produced in connection with Silbury is sound work. They are however sending mixed messages all the time as the man said.

They just don't get it. They are tied up with their own focus and when this sort of thing happens they go "who EH - no it weren't down to us!"

Cmon EH sort it and everyone will love you (well sort of and I won't tell my mates, but I will like you but not your crap logo that looks like the Millennium bug squashed flat).

VBB :o)
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 20, 2007, 07:13
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:
[quote="

He's a true gentleman. He's opened his heart and spoken his mind, and in turn has stopped this stupid thing going ahead.[/quote]

Blimey I've been asleep and woken in October, either that or someone is counting chickens!

VBB

Watch the EH building crumble...
Mr Hamhead
Mr Hamhead
1020 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 20, 2007, 08:00
Good on the Guardian to print Lord A's letter but did anybody see this at the back of the Family section last Saturday.....just got round to reading it over toast..

Mr H

Go to Avebury in Wiltshire
Pete May

I've finally cracked the meaning of the Avebury complex in Wiltshire - neolithic humans built it to amuse their kids. My daughters are trying to climb the huge sarsen stones, and running down earthwork ditches. Then my eight-year-old is asking, a little too loudly, "But, Mummy, why would people have sex beneath the stones?" having overheard our discussion on fertility rites.

They love a good death story too, and are delighted by the museum's exhibition of a rusting pair of scissors found in the pocket of a 13th-century barber who was crushed to death while trying to remove and destroy one of the "devil's stones".

We climb Silbury Hill, and I explain that this took as much human effort as building the pyramids, yet no one knows what it was for. "Maybe they climbed up it to collect the cup," suggests my perceptive daughter Lola.

And then we walk to West Kennet Long Barrow, climbing inside the stone chambers beneath the earth. "And this is where the skulls were stacked, and this was for legs," I say, explaining how neolithic people talked to their ancestors via their bones. We picnic on top of the mound, gazing at Silbury Hill.

"Can we hear the ancestors talking?" asks five-year-old Nell, hopefully.

"Yes, you can listen with this," says her mum, handing her an empty mineral water bottle and letting the wind reverberate in its lips. She is transfixed.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 20, 2007, 08:14
"Can we hear the ancestors talking?" asks five-year-old Nell, hopefully.

"Yes, you can listen with this," says her mum, handing her an empty mineral water bottle and letting the wind reverberate in its lips. She is transfixed.

Wot, members of the public thought it was OK to climb Silbury and use traditional wind instruments? How on earth did they get that idea?
Like the man said, Guardians should "give the public clear uncomplicated messages about how to enjoy ancient monuments respectfully, and should set the very best of examples themselves."

STILL not bloody rocket science is it?

;)
Robert Carr
84 posts

Jul 20, 2007, 09:54
Littlestone wrote:
Incompetent fools yet again springs to mind but I better not say too much in case it offends Mr Carr's sensibilities even further (or his pocketbook, as I suspect from some of his comments that he might just be on English Heritage's payroll ;-)

Damn.... rumbled!

Anyway back to business.

Robert Carr wrote:

Are Heritage Action going to hook up with Lord Eric over the 'time capsule' campaign? As well as his grandfather's interest in some mystic, he is an active and prominent Lib Dem peer who could open some doors.

Go on, give him a ring. Don't be afraid. Ask Cursuswalker to help you out. He knows about getting things done.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 20, 2007, 10:06
Go on, give him a ring.

No bites yet?
Tell 'em they put the worm at the wrong end.
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 149 50 51 52 53 54 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index