Silbury updates
This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 148 49 50 51 52 53 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 16, 2007, 19:06
[quote="Next month there's a rumour that a Punch and Judy show will be held on site with the possibility of a media circus to follow ;-)[/quote]

"Oh no there won't!" (retort)...

I have to say that the tunnel update was very well written if far too short, give us more !!! Sorry I don't get this accoustic thing, as far as I'm concerned it has merely stored up more trouble with folk wanting and believing they can access the hill in the future!

One mini point I would like to make - isn't the term "mini Silbury" counterfactual ? You can build a mini-mound perhaps in this time space, or mini-motte more like, spoil heap certainly, but mini Silbury ? Surely it undermines attempts to explain Silbury in any rational terms let alone in terms of sophistication. If this was said to young people I can't see how they would understand the scale of operations, as for older folk from my home town ...

"What did you do today Mycroft ?"

"Well I went and built a mini Silbury then I went on the lash at the Diogenese Club, didn't I !"

Sorry about this...

Its that blooming cereal, it is you know...

VBB :o)
Railway Sidings East Cheam (where did that come from was it Hancock ?)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 16, 2007, 19:21
Surely it undermines attempts to explain Silbury in any rational terms let alone in terms of sophistication.

Aye VBB. Like you I sometimes tire of the silliness of it all. In the end there is, "Something beyond the books, that is consolation..."
http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Time capsule - Lord Avebury's opinion
Jul 19, 2007, 06:51
Part of a letter in today's Guardian from Lord Avebury -

"My grandfather purchased Silbury Hill, introduced the first legislation to protect ancient monuments, and placed the hill under permanent guardianship. As owner of the site, I am concerned by the conflicting messages now being sent out by English Heritage, such as their plan to allow a "time capsule" to be buried in the monument. The current Silbury Hill conservation project, for which EH deserves credit, is designed to restore the original fabric by backfilling with pure chalk. Placing a foreign object in the monument offends conservation principles, as well as the spiritual beliefs of some people."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,2129468,00.html
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Time capsule - Lord Avebury's opinion
Jul 19, 2007, 09:52
Littlestone wrote:
Part of a letter in today's Guardian from Lord Avebury -

"My grandfather purchased Silbury Hill, introduced the first legislation to protect ancient monuments, and placed the hill under permanent guardianship. As owner of the site, I am concerned by the conflicting messages now being sent out by English Heritage, such as their plan to allow a "time capsule" to be buried in the monument. The current Silbury Hill conservation project, for which EH deserves credit, is designed to restore the original fabric by backfilling with pure chalk. Placing a foreign object in the monument offends conservation principles, as well as the spiritual beliefs of some people."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/letters/story/0,,2129468,00.html

Well said Lord A! I take my hat off to you sir!

Unfortunate that it took someone with a title to get himself printed and noticed, when all he is doing is reiterating everything that's been stated here for months, but at least he has a little more commonsense than some.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 15:59
We have Charters for how to behave when visiting ancient sites, wouldn't it be nice if there was a Charter for Guardians of Ancient Sites?

Nice and short, in the words of Lord A -

Guardians should "give the public clear uncomplicated messages about how to enjoy ancient monuments respectfully, and should set the very best of examples themselves."

Not bloody rocket science is it.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 16:30
nigelswift wrote:

Guardians should "give the public clear uncomplicated messages about how to enjoy ancient monuments respectfully, and should set the very best of examples themselves."

Think EH got its PR wrong on this one, Silbury is a World Heritage site, in the end it has a much bigger audience than just local....
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 17:15
nigelswift wrote:
We have Charters for how to behave when visiting ancient sites, wouldn't it be nice if there was a Charter for Guardians of Ancient Sites?

Sadly it never was. A no-brainer of an idea that was always destined to fall flat. You could see it, I could see it, even my cat thought it was dumb, but those chaps paid vast sums of money to do their jobs thought differently.

What splendid value for money those ideas boffins at EH are!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 17:26
Unfortunate that it took someone with a title to get himself printed and noticed, when all he is doing is reiterating everything that's been stated here for months, but at least he has a little more commonsense than some.

Aye, slumpy, but Lord Avebury is more than just someone with a title, he's as straight as they come. He's also a Buddhist, and his grandfather was a great admirer of Richard Jefferies (the Wiltshire writer and mystic). We could not hope to have a more sensitive and suitable champion for the conservation of Silbury.

One line in his letter to The Guardian says it all - it encompasses both the highest principles of conservation as well as respect for the spiritual dimension of the monument -

Lord Avebury wrote

Placing a foreign object in the monument offends conservation principles, as well as the spiritual beliefs of some people.
Robert Carr
84 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 17:51
Littlestone wrote:
Aye, slumpy, but Lord Avebury is more than just someone with a title, he's as straight as they come. He's also a Buddhist, and his grandfather was a great admirer of Richard Jefferies (the Wiltshire writer and mystic). We could not hope to have a more sensitive and suitable champion for the conservation of Silbury.

One line in his letter to The Guardian says it all - it encompasses both the highest principles of conservation as well as respect for the spiritual dimension of the monument -

Lord Avebury wrote

Placing a foreign object in the monument offends conservation principles, as well as the spiritual beliefs of some people.

Yes and he did have the bright idea of writing to a national newspaper rather than just ranting down a cul-de-sac.

Are Heritage Action going to hook up with Lord Eric over the 'time capsule' campaign? As well as his grandfather's interest in some mystic, he is an active and prominent Lib Dem peer who could open some doors.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 19, 2007, 19:13
Littlestone wrote:

Lord Avebury wrote

He's a true gentleman. He's opened his heart and spoken his mind, and in turn has stopped this stupid thing going ahead.
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 148 49 50 51 52 53 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index