The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbury Hill »
Silbury updates
This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 147 48 49 50 51 52 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: This isn't a dig; I'm just confused....
Jul 10, 2007, 19:25
[quote="
er... I don't think the (very) VenerableBottyBurp said "Drop the Hill".
quote]

Oi, less of the "very", I'm only, only, I forget what I said now...

Dropping "hill" would seem sensible but for the public thinking then in terms of Sil-bury, and we are left with the supposition that it is a burial mound when in actuality other than what Stukeley was told (conned into buying) re a secondary burail there is no, no,...

Forget it, I'm too plizzed for this...

Talk to you next year...

VBB (not very....).
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 10, 2007, 20:57
Got an image of you slumped against the English Heritage portacabins at Silbury, VBB, bottle of scotch in one hand, spirit level in the other, and muttering something along the lines of, "I told you she was sick."

Homage to George Melly (and on a par with Milligan) "As a surrealist, it's quite nice to be suffering from dementia."
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 11, 2007, 07:23
Littlestone wrote:
Got an image of you slumped against the English Heritage portacabins at Silbury, VBB, bottle of scotch in one hand, spirit level in the other, and muttering something along the lines of, "I told you she was sick."

Homage to George Melly (and on a par with Milligan) "As a surrealist, it's quite nice to be suffering from dementia."

There's nothing surreal about my hangover....

VBB :OL
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 11, 2007, 13:35
Hey VBB, can you see, through your bleary eyes, anything in what has been released so far about the scale of collapses since 1969 and 2002 ???

The reason I ask is that you will well recall we were led to believe, over and over again, that those were the reason for going in there in the first place (certainly not for research purposes). Yet they've now been in there eight weeks and I don't seem to be able to find anything about it at all.....

Confused of Stourport.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 11, 2007, 14:01
Hey VBB, can you see, through your bleary eyes, anything in what has been released so far about the scale of collapses since 1969 and 2002 ???

Reckon he's still slumped against one of the English Heritage portacabins at Silbury. Hey, VBB! When you wake up we need your body in a horizontal position on a certain road - don't worry, you won't be alone ;-)
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 11, 2007, 15:47
Littlestone wrote:

Reckon he's still slumped against one of the English Heritage portacabins at Silbury. Hey, VBB! When you wake up we need your body in a horizontal position on a certain road - don't worry, you won't be alone ;-)

Uh!

What's all the noise ?

I'm not very well today, think it was something I ate....

Erm, I have had this discussion, but haven't seen anything that I recall.

I am going back to bed now...

VBB ZZZzzzzzzzzzz !
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jul 12, 2007, 00:23
Littlestone wrote:
IMO, the notes in the PDF (and my imagination in translating them) don't seem to clarify anything. Which is why I asked. I'm glad I did, because I like your interpretation.

The area surrounding Silbury is frequently flooded, Pilgrim, and that could account for the alluvial band (natural deposit). But if Silbury was in fact designed as an 'island' then a clay covering, as Squid Tempest suggests, would also make perfect sense.

Hi, Littlestone,

Si. I was aware of the flood plain. Dames does like it in his book, and it accounts for a lot of flatness in a natural environment. Trouble is, that (to my mind) why would they make an "island" out of the same stuff that gets dumped there anyway? It's hardly going to make it stand out, is it? I like the idea of an aquatic-biased foundation to this Hill/Mound thingy (it's what we - as erect bipeds - are based on and can't live without, after all).

With regard to the Hill/Mound tag, Mound makes it a bit small. I've done a thesaraus check, and I'll go for "Eminence".....Silbury Eminence!

Peace

Pilgrim

X
tomwatts
376 posts

Jul 12, 2007, 00:42
I rather like "Silbury Howe", myself.
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jul 12, 2007, 05:06
tomwatts wrote:
I rather like "Silbury Howe", myself.

Yes! Of course! I gather from Rhiannon's piece on Willy Howe

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/21637/miscellaneous/willy_howe.html

that Aubrey Burl thinks Silbury is related in style, so perhaps you're right. Also 'Howe' is a question we can answer.....

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 16, 2007, 16:38
Update number 9 now available. Two and a half pages of the update detail 'an investigation into the acoustics of Silbury' while one page details a 'Mini-Mound building event'.

Next month there's a rumour that a Punch and Judy show will be held on site with the possibility of a media circus to follow ;-)
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 147 48 49 50 51 52 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index