Silbury Hill »
Silbury updates
This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 142 43 44 45 46 47 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2007, 18:54
Re: time capsule - would this solve the problems?
Jul 02, 2007, 18:08
nigelswift wrote:
And to stretch VBB's brilliant idea a little further - perhaps all those concerned with Silbury's future could be invited to offer a handful of chalk to the infill, knowing that 'there is a little piece of their spirit in there'.

That would have been nice but in view of all that has gone on and VBB's advice to keep it simple, letting the schoolchildren feel uniquely privileged might be the best plan?

Just wondering how the (very) VenerableBottyBurp's excellent suggestion for a school visit has turned into a religious event.

The time capsule (if it happens) is not an 'offering' and has no spiritual or religious baggage for the children. their teachers or anyone else involved. It's just a time capsule. It's just a school outing.

IMO the good thing here is that youngsters get a good close up look at some big History. Maybe they will be posting on this site in 15 years time? And didn't we all get our sense of wonder from those years?

Keep it practical, historical and secular and you will have more chance of changing the plans for the time capsule.

(Please - no hate. only debate)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 18:17
If we put to EH that more might join in I fear we might scupper any chance if indeed there is one for the children.

Yeah.. fairenoughski. Keep it simple.
Rockrich
Rockrich
448 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 02, 2007, 18:48
rocknicker wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
But Rockrich, you shouldn't let yourself be put off. Most of the big posters on the forum don't post many pictures / fieldnotes anyway. And people Out There usually come to the website through looking for information on a particular place. Wot you might have posted. so I say post your nice pictures and don't read forum posts if they wind you up. please.

yeah post away - but please take incredible care that each photo is absolutely unique and relavent won't you :P

oh eck, make that 3 instead of 100 then:-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 19:29
Just wondering how the (very) VenerableBottyBurp's excellent suggestion for a school visit has turned into a religious event.

Well my use of the word, and that of others I suspect, wasn't meant to convey any religious meaning. Can't "spirit" have a secular meaning?
How about "allowing local youngsters to feel a sense of engagement with the monument"? Public engagement is the buzz phrase in modern heritage management.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 19:42
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
... do I have any right to tamper with anything on his property? Okay, I may need to fix the gutter for him, but I wouldn't have the right to insert something of my own into the house or garden while I'm doing it!

Point taken.

(Hey I like you when you're nice :-)

I've told you already, I'm NOT coming round to fix your bloody guttering, it was just an expression!

Sussex took the brunt of a flat battery on the van this morning, by the time I got back onto here I'd mellowed out a bit ;)
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Jul 03, 2007, 06:07
It's that time again.

Silbury Hill Week 7 Update

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/Silbury_Hill_web_update_07.pdf

I'll leave it up to you.

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 03, 2007, 06:50
Well what they are saying is now being said in a slightly more profession manner; that doesn't mean that a great deal more information shouldn't be released with each update however - double or even triple the amount of information being released at present. Showing images of finds within Silbury, and children at the site, is all very well and good but it smacks of a public relations stunt. What we are entitled to are detailed updates on every aspect of the project - not just aspects of it that show English Heritage in a favourable light.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 03, 2007, 07:44
At last, a hint of 'we know what we're doing'!

Much improved, see me after class.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 03, 2007, 08:33
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:

I
If this is a daft idea, sorry, I was just hoping we might stop the divisions and arguments. If however it appears sound I am prepared to put it to EH.

VBB :o)

Fuck's sake VBB you should get a job at the UN.
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jul 03, 2007, 11:42
tiompan wrote:
VenerableBottyBurp wrote:

I
If this is a daft idea, sorry, I was just hoping we might stop the divisions and arguments. If however it appears sound I am prepared to put it to EH.

Fuck's sake VBB you should get a job at the UN.

According to my mum (in Hilda Baker mode) UNESCO is an international branch of a local supermarket!

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 142 43 44 45 46 47 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index