This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 140 41 42 43 44 45 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 02, 2007, 13:04
nigelswift wrote:
I thought a number of us had, but I'm reluctant to reiterate it as voicing it seems to be taken as an unfriendly act and I can do without further upset.

I can do that, I've calmed down a bit now ;)

There are three main reasons:

It sets a precedent, one that could be used by any number of groups with a greater affiliation to another site. For instance, Pagans may choose to bury their cremated fellowship in a site they feel particularly close to, or Trottiscliffe school, itself in danger of being closed, could decide that Coldrum needs a time capsule. Who could then deny them that right?

It is pointless. The media coverage and recording of the contents mean there will never be a point to digging it up. Archaeologists will probably not be interested in something they can click on and view online, or view photos and scans of in a local museum.

It goes against everything English Heritage stand for - to protect and conserve - and therefore undermines their position.

If I've missed one out, or offended anyone, I apologise.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 13:06
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:

Calling people stupid is not a good start!

Neither is calling people "incompetent fools". You reap what you sow.

It surely depends on the context. But then, when you're only here to argue, I don't suppose that matters much.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 13:37
If I've missed one out...

I'd add -

Internationally agreed conservation norms say no.

EH's statutory position dictates they, above anyone, ought to keep to the above.

Britain's special status with UNESCO as having conservation and management practices of such high standards that it is being appointed in a beacon role to developing nations is made to look daft by this.

From the start, EH's Silbury Project Aims included "minimum intervention"
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2007, 14:04
Jul 02, 2007, 13:59
slumpystones wrote:

It sets a precedent, one that could be used by any number of groups with a greater affiliation to another site. For instance, Pagans may choose to bury their cremated fellowship in a site they feel particularly close to, or Trottiscliffe school, itself in danger of being closed, could decide that Coldrum needs a time capsule. Who could then deny them that right?

It is pointless. The media coverage and recording of the contents mean there will never be a point to digging it up. Archaeologists will probably not be interested in something they can click on and view online, or view photos and scans of in a local museum.

It goes against everything English Heritage stand for - to protect and conserve - and therefore undermines their position.

Nicely put slumpystones. Stay calm now :-).

On point three.

English Heritage may (or may not) have made a boo boo over the time capsule but does that totally undermine their position. Surely the main objective of the current work is to protect and conserve Silbury Hill and to stop it collapsing.

Isn't that what everyone wants and will this project not achieve that objective?
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 14:10
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:

Nicely put slumpystones. Stay calm now :-).

On point three.

English Heritage may (or may not) have made a boo boo over the time capsule but does that totally undermine their position. Surely the main objective of the current work is to protect and conserve Silbury Hill and to stop it collapsing.

Isn't that what everyone wants and will this project not achieve that objective?

I don't think that a single time capsule would totally undermine their position, but it certainly doesn't help. They should be standing up, safe in the knowledge that their position as the conservor of the nation's monuments cannot be called into question. They should be able to say NO and mean it, and not be challenged.

If I agree to protect and conserve my neighbour's house while he's away, do I have any right to tamper with anything on his property? Okay, I may need to fix the gutter for him, but I wouldn't have the right to insert something of my own into the house or garden while I'm doing it!
Robert Carr
84 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 14:32
slumpystones wrote:
... do I have any right to tamper with anything on his property? Okay, I may need to fix the gutter for him, but I wouldn't have the right to insert something of my own into the house or garden while I'm doing it!

Point taken.

(Hey I like you when you're nice :-)
Mustard
1043 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 14:42
slumpystones wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I thought a number of us had, but I'm reluctant to reiterate it as voicing it seems to be taken as an unfriendly act and I can do without further upset.

I can do that, I've calmed down a bit now ;)

If I've missed one out, or offended anyone, I apologise.

Cheers for clearing that up, Slumps.
Toxic Delerium
17 posts

Jul 02, 2007, 15:08
Bright blessings; much love to you and yours.
Scousemaiden xxx
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: time capsule - would this solve the problems?
Jul 02, 2007, 15:39
There are so few children in number perhaps each could be accompanied by an adult and allowed to put some chalk into the backfill or a dumper truck. If they can't go in the tunnel or close up because of health & safety an alternative is that the children are given buckets and bags, they write their name and a message on the bag, they fill it full of chalk, and that is put in the bucket and taken into the tunnel ceremoniously by an archaeo or engineer and this is photographed.

The bags and photographs are then collected and used as a catalyst for an archive and collection in connection with the school, this could be kept at the AK or at the WHM in Devizes, and hopefully be added to by past pupils and teachers.

It might even be possible to put details on a board and mount it at the site. Job done.

The integrity of the hill isn't compromised, no conservation arguments, it wouldn't encourage folk onto the site, no-one might be encouraged to dig for it, there is no encouragement for others to bury their own throughout the WHS. And everyone happy we hope!

If this is a daft idea, sorry, I was just hoping we might stop the divisions and arguments. If however it appears sound I am prepared to put it to EH.

VBB :o)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: time capsule - would this solve the problems?
Jul 02, 2007, 15:55
By jove I think you've got it!

Give that man a... whatever he wants!

What a perfect solution - a 100% win-win situation... Nice one, VBB..!

G x
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 140 41 42 43 44 45 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index