This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 15, 2007, 15:43
Sod Maths & English for these 7yr olds, lets teach 'em proper subject like Heritage Conservation.... genius!!

Couldn't agree with you more.

Perhaps if we put conservation at the top of the school curriculum the planet, with its beautiful natural and cultural heritage, would not be in the dire state that it is; without saving those things (or at least teaching our children their fragility and importance) there's little point in learning much else.

The debate here about a time capsule is far more than a debate about a time capsule: it is a debate about how we perceive and how we preserve our heritage. English Heritage's idea of a time capsule inside Silbury belongs to the Victorian era, not to an era increasingly aware that our natural and cultural heritage is poised on the edge of a precipice.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 16:55
Littlestone wrote:
The debate here about a time capsule is far more than a debate about a time capsule: it is a debate about how we perceive and how we preserve our heritage. English Heritage's idea of a time capsule inside Silbury belongs to the Victorian era, not to an era increasingly aware that our natural and cultural heritage is poised on the edge of a precipice.

There's little difference between the general feeling here and what Stukeley must have felt seeing barrows torn open, and stones broken up and dragged away. How little we have progressed in 200 years or more, with the farce of the Government arguing with the Government over Stonehenge and the main Conservation group in the country considering defiling a monument they are supposed to protect from intrusion.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 18:09
slumpystones wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Silbury belongs to the Victorian era, not to an era increasingly aware that our natural and cultural heritage is poised on the edge of a precipice.

There's little difference between the general feeling here and what Stukeley must have felt seeing barrows torn open, and stones broken up and dragged away. How little we have progressed in 200 years or more, with the farce of the Government arguing with the Government over Stonehenge and the main Conservation group in the country considering defiling a monument they are supposed to protect from intrusion.

Well the argument rages.... I got cross years ago, when all the field pansies disappeared up to WKLB ;) now - solstices, druids, upset children, EH not giving us all the detail and Banksy doing a skit on Stonehenge with portaloos, not to mention The Greens selling out on Tara, plus I read on U-Know oil is going to disappear faster than expected (which I already knew) so we don't need Motorways round Tara or Stonehenge anyhow...
The children should not put a time capsule in Silbury Hill, if they are disappointed offer them a bigger treat, not lollypops for goodness sake...
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 15, 2007, 20:23
moss wrote:
The children should not put a time capsule in Silbury Hill, if they are disappointed offer them a bigger treat, not lollypops for goodness sake...

I am surprised they haven't considered Avebury - surely there's a pothole needs filling? Dig a bit deeper and stick it in there, rather than under grass. It could be marked on the road with a disc, always protected, yet not invasive in the same way as at Silbury.

I still fail to see the practical reason for doing it anyway. They will never be allowed to dig it up again, which is surely the reason for doing it in the first place. Maybe if my campaign at Addington is successful I should ask to have my ashes buried in the barrow, they could hardly refuse if I say I might get upset!
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

I'd take the Fifth....
Jun 18, 2007, 07:35
...if it was available. Is it late because of Father's Day? Or is it being a-void-ed?

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: I'd take the Fifth....
Jun 18, 2007, 07:42
Pilgrim wrote:
...if it was available. Is it late because of Father's Day? Or is it being a-void-ed?

Peace

Pilgrim

X

;-)

Just in case anyone's missed this by slumpy - http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Well Done slumpystones!
Jun 18, 2007, 08:38
Littlestone wrote:
[quote="Pilgrim
Just in case anyone's missed this by slumpy - http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/

Brilliant! Give that man a megalithic medallion.

Thanks, LS.

Peace

Pilgrim

X
We
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2007, 10:10
Re: I'd take the Fifth....
Jun 18, 2007, 10:09
Pilgrim wrote:

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Spooky....less than 3 hours later....now I feel like I'm being watched....

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17511

"Week 5: Sorry, our weekly upload has been delayed for technical reasons. Please bear with us - it will be here soon! "

Peace

Pilgrim

X
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Being watched
Jun 18, 2007, 10:50
Spooky....less than 3 hours later....now I feel like I'm being watched...

You are, so can you ask them about their Ask the Experts thingy as well ;-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Being watched
Jun 18, 2007, 13:51
"and I wouldn't mind betting that the next thing to happen will be for English Heritage to close down its Silbury Updates website due to 'technical difficulties'" Littlestone, 5 June.

Spooky!

BTW, I've just remembered, a certain unmentionable person freely confesses to burying crystals in the Hill.
I spose that's OK now. He'd certainly be very disappointed if he was told it wasn't.
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index