This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Work continues
Jun 14, 2007, 18:26
by Interesting bits I mean the layering in the primary mound.
Atkinson left huge holes in his plans of the layers and this is a chance to discover once and for all exactly how Silbury was first constructed.
Most of the EH staff are living on site in small metal boxes and they are all working flat out, as are the Skanska staff.
Remember they are working to a timetable and a budget.

I'm normaly the first to have a bash at EH but I don't see the point while they are getting on with the job.
There will be more updates and video in the weeks to come and probably a TV show before Xmas.
This attitude of "Tell me everything you know NOW!" is not helping is it?
If the Avebury school kids get their visit cancelled because of the grumblings of a few I will be severely pissed orf!
PeteG
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 18:32
so its all right for a dotty druid who has only recently blown into the village to leave unprovenanced material in the center of the hill?
But not the schoolkids? Hows that work then?

Most Avebury people were born and bred in the village and the Solstice celebrations only took off in recent years when Michael Eavis banned the travellers who started his festival.
Having nowhere to go after Stonehenge Avebury is seen as the next best thing.
No one in the village remembers any druids of pagans coming to Avebury before 1985.
My videos of the late 80's and early 90's shows only a hand full of people, less than 200 at most.

I still maintain that the answer lies at Stonehenge.
Avebury has no solstice connections (other than having a pub and a car park.)
PeteG
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 19:19
In reply to the first bit, no of course not. Nothing but chalk came out, nothing but chalk goes in, full stop.

I remember 1985 at Avebury as, as you said, Stonehenge was just too bloody dodgy, and I agree that there are no solar [or any other celestial] events connected with Avebury at all, making it a bit of a red herring for the uninitiated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Tough, you chose it, you live with it", but there are some things that are inevitable - death, taxes and solstice nutters looking for somewhere to go. Stonehenge was so overcrowded last year [sit on the floor inside the central trilithons and then blame ME when I step on you in a stoned'n'drunk stupour? Are you stupid or just American?] that it was not as enjoyable as it could have been, rain aside.

The only constructive suggestion I can make is, stock up, lock up and toke it up!
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 19:43
slumpystones wrote:

The only constructive suggestion I can make is, stock up, lock up and toke it up!

I picked a hellava week to give up smoking!

As Solstice is midweek those of us that have to work have to battle in and out of Avebury through police cordans.
Luckily I have several places to park that are protected.
In the past I've had 2 cars damaged over Solstice, one person even took the time to leave a note with a fake name and insurance details, bless 'em eh?
PeteG
Meanwhile at the Avebury dig.....but thats another thread for another time...
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 20:01
Pete G wrote:
Meanwhile at the Avebury dig.....but thats another thread for another time...

Can't wait! I hope you're making them lots of tea?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 20:16
Tea? These are students that need Beer!
A nice barbed and tanged arrowhead came up today....
PeteG
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 20:32
Yes I expect you're right, Pete. It's nice to have a few photos though isn't it, one of the arrowhead maybe, stick it on the scanner, just to keep the punters happy. Maybe EH don't want to be time team.

I guess this is the 21st century and ridiculously detailed notes of absolutely everything are being kept, no doubt to go into a densely written report which will be published in due course. I guess we're not living in a era where the excavators keep putting off writing up their notes until they're dead, and then they wind up at a boot sale.

I suppose it's just because Silbury is such an icon for people isn't it. People just want reassurance everything is going well and being done properly. It's been a long time since that hole opened up in the top of the hill. There's got to be a bit of pressure on.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 20:42
the arrowhead was at the Avebury dig.
http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~gtour/Dig2007.htm
more pics tomorrow of the finds.

EH have said there will be an interim report on Silbury out in 2008 and a full report in 2010.
I'm sure they are taking lots of photos and video, some pics that aren't in the pdf's are to seen in the visitors centre.
The people I have talked to at EH are eager to get everything right.
PeteG
archaeolith
5 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 21:18
You just missed the 'antler' that came up out of the bottom of trench 3 (I think it was). Which fascinatingly was placed on top of a 'post-hole'.

Some very interesting stakeholes too! :D

Look forward to seeing your pictures.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 14, 2007, 21:28
ooh I hope Josh brings it back tomorrow!
There are some pics here
http://www.users.myisp.co.uk/~gtour/Dig2007.htm
but I need to talk with Josh again to get more info on the ditch feature and to decide weather the hole is a stonebreaking hole or not.
PeteG
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index