This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Being watched
Jun 18, 2007, 15:00
Chuckle... if we keep this up we'll find ourselves on the English Heritage board of directors before long (advance policy planners of the psychic kind :-)

Let's see how long they're down due to 'technical difficulties'. Let's see if they ever start their Ask the Experts thingy and, most interestingly, let's see how they're going to reverse their way out of their time capsule blunder.

We know you're watching us English Heritage, but there's far more of us watching you ;-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Week 5 update
Jun 18, 2007, 15:58
It's up (wos it something we said :-)

They don't seem to be sure whether to spell update as update or Update... nah, that's just being petty.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 16:10
So Atkinson tunnelled right through the primary mound? if I'm reading the orange line right Nigel, there still seems an awful long way to go, if they have only reached 26 metres, its 80 metres long according to the illustration...
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 16:18
Littlestone wrote:
...let's see how they're going to reverse their way out of their time capsule blunder.

Simple. "We Fucked Up, sorry."

Now of course, no politician, government employee with healthy pension or anyone else in authority will do that, but I would rather read:

"After consultation between various interested parties, it has been decided that the time capsule project was ill thought out and potentially harmful, and the decision has been taken to offer the schoolchildren a time capsule on the site of the school itself, which is much more appropriate as they are the last pupils to go to that school, which closes in a few weeks"

than

"We've made the decision, and no matter how ridiculous it seems, no matter how much people object, no matter of the future consequences, we are sticking with it".
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 16:32
Nah, you're all wrong, my mystical powers of prediction far exceed that Mr Littlestone's.
It'll be something like -

As we previously pointed out, there are many different and conflicting conservationist and lay opinions upon the pros and cons of depositing a time capsule within the imported modern fill material, all of them having some merit. Consequently we have decided to carry out a consultation exercise amongst all interested parties with a view to reaching a decision which best reflects the widest possible opinion.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 18, 2007, 16:52
"So Atkinson tunnelled right through the primary mound?"

Almost, I think. About a metre further than Merewether.

It would be better if the section showed both tunnels, plus the voids that have developed above them, both previously known and newly discovered, plus a plan view of the tunnels and their side shoots. it all looks rather simple at present.

The previous diagrams showed those features and contain the vague but concerning statement "Other voids potentially exist along the length of the 1968/69 tunnel" and it is these that are of particular interest to anyone that has a right to be interested. Questions like.... yes, well are there? Approximately how many additional cubic metres? Any chance of photographs?
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Week 5 update
Jun 18, 2007, 17:06
In EH's defence [get this on camera, it will only happen once] I would say that we have to remember that this is not strictly speaking an archaeological excavation, but a repair job to fix the mess left behind by the last one, and as such there will be little new stuff to talk about, most of the work having been documented in 69. Okay, we get better pictures and maybe more up-to-date explanations, but being as they are repairing the damage left by one of their own, I wouldn't expect too many comments from them.

In fact, the archaeological work seems to be more along the lines of working out which fall was from which tunnel, rather than anything constructive in the hill itself.

Right, they've seen my once-in-a-lifetime nice side, I'm back to normal now!
ascorbic
ascorbic
15 posts

Re: I'd take the Fifth....
Jun 18, 2007, 17:35
Hi,
I'm new here. I'm not with EH or any other way involved in the project, but I do know some people and have it on good authority that this is *not* the end of the updates - it really is technical difficulties. They will have it up within the next day or so, and updates after that should be more regular. They've also taken on board the criticisms, and apparently future updates will be more detailed with more pictures and so forth. I don't know about the Ask The Experts thing, but I'll...ahem...ask.

- Matt
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: I'd take the Fifth....
Jun 18, 2007, 18:33
...this is *not* the end of the updates - it really is technical difficulties.

Hi Matt. Thanks for your post, and I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping you'll stick around and post more.

No criticism of you personally but some of us can't help wondering what these 'technical difficulties' are. Technical difficulties at Silbury or technical difficulties with English Heritage's website? If it's the latter that really is very, very unprofessional. Don't English Heritage have people onboard able to set up and run what is, after all, a pretty basic website?

Many of us here have our own websites and blogs and manage (in many cases without a lot of computer training) to maintain those site and blogs. If English Heritage can't do the same it really is further damming evidence of their ineptitude.

Not directed at you personally, but I hope you'll see why so many of us here, and elsewhere, are so frustrated and angry with English Heritage's cack-handed performance so far.

Once again, many thanks for your post.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Week 5 update
Jun 18, 2007, 18:45
slumpystones wrote:
In EH's defence ... there will be little new stuff to talk about, most of the work having been documented in 69.

It was?? Any references? It was my understanding that the main problem (other than shoddy workmanship in the backfill) was the almost total lack of published findings from the Atkinson dig.

Have I had that wrong all this time?
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index